Are clamp on downtube shifter stops needed?

Mark Manley

Raleigh Fan
As I tend towards hub gears I am unfamiliar with the finer points of derailleurs and as I am now doing a vintage build with clamp on downtube shifters I was wondering about the need for a stop on top of the tube, are they a necessity or not? Any advice appreciated.

Team blue 4.jpg

Stops the band on stops or levers from sliding down, not absolutely necessary (Falcon never used them) but means you don't have to tighten the band so much it damages the frame.

Often found underneath and offset to hide them, or as a small "Spike".

No I have saved the few photos I have found of them and this one showed what I was talking about quite well, I have a Raleigh frame in 531 which has had no interest on Ebay so am contemplating a blue one.
Ah ok, Team livery but in blue, read this thread beforehand and please don't go and buy cheap incorrect crap decals 👍

Thread 'Ti Raleigh Seat Tube Decals.. The Definitive Guide To The Correct Team Livery' https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads...tive-guide-to-the-correct-team-livery.429048/

Having experienced levers gradually sliding down the tube - and completely upsetting the cable tension and therefore the efficiency of the change (especially if indexed) then I would always go for a stop if possible. Top or Bottom of tube doesn't matter as a top stop could be decorative and made a feature. On one of my winter bikes once I drilled the underside of the tube and fitted a self-tapper screw (the head acting as the stop) because however I tightened the clamp it would not stop it sliding eventually.

Having experienced levers gradually sliding down the tube - and completely upsetting the cable tension and therefore the efficiency of the change (especially if indexed) then I would always go for a stop if possible. Top or Bottom of tube doesn't matter as a top stop could be decorative and made a feature. On one of my winter bikes once I drilled the underside of the tube and fitted a self-tapper screw (the head acting as the stop) because however I tightened the clamp it would not stop it sliding eventually.
Been there too, but didn't resort to the hole and screw. Had bosses brazed on with the next respray

Back