****ing weather

shovelon":33zoy3at said:
You won't like it here right now. It's been overcast and drizzly the last couple of weeks.

That's Global warming fer ya. :roll:

A couple of weeks in a year is cool though... we get a couple of weeks of sunshine and the rest rain! ;)

Where shall I move to Mr shovelon? Need good riding (off road and road), a decent local soccer team to play for, and night-life with live music to earn money... any suggestions? :)

Las Vegas my young man. That place has everything. Just up the road from Vegas, maybe 20 minutes is Boulder City, and Lake Mead. The mountains between the 2 are great. Taxes are cheap as well as the cost of living. And lots of opportunities for musicians I would expect.

Myself, I am eying New Mexico.

Otherwise, you are more than welcome to move here close to Hollyweird. :D

shovelon":1fae5hsi said:
Las Vegas my young man. That place has everything. Just up the road from Vegas, maybe 20 minutes is Boulder City, and Lake Mead. The mountains between the 2 are great. Taxes are cheap as well as the cost of living. And lots of opportunities for musicians I would expect.

Myself, I am eying New Mexico.

Otherwise, you are more than welcome to move here close to Hollyweird. :D

Vegas sounds good, I didn't know there was great riding nearby. Don't know if I could take the heat, but heat is better than cold and rain thats for sure!

New Mexico... been there - Los Alamos and Alberqueqe, the rocks are amazing, the altitude made me feel like an athlete for a day when back down to sea level, but didn't see much else when I was there, bar the nuclear test facility thing. Why do you want to go to New Mexico?

So Cal was an obvious choice, but not Hollyweird, somewhere less sought after and cheaper! Whats the riding like in Hollywood?

The UK aint all that bad, but I'm just sick of the crazy taxes, high cost of living, high property costs, lack of space and DAMN WEATHER! It's great here when there's a good summer, but even then that's like only 4 weeks of 52 and that's IF we're lucky enough to have a summer! ;)

OldFatTi":190x608s said:
New Mexico... been there - Los Alamos and Alberqueqe, the rocks are amazing, the altitude made me feel like an athlete for a day when back down to sea level, but didn't see much else when I was there, bar the nuclear test facility thing. Why do you want to go to New Mexico?

So Cal was an obvious choice, but not Hollyweird, somewhere less sought after and cheaper! Whats the riding like in Hollywood?
To the east of Albequerqe is Raton where the NRA weapons range is. You can bring you artillery and book some time. To the Northwest of Raton is the Mountain Range that borders Colorado. The media mogul Ted Turner has massive land holdings and the world's largest bison ranch. Towards the northeast corner of the state is Cimmoron, the gateway to Philmont Scout Ranch. The area was donated by the Phillips Petroleum magnate when he got old. I looked at property in Cimmaron about 4 years ago, and found a couple of homes going for about $36k. I think I could retire there, and travel when needed.

As far as SoCal is, other than some good weather, it is much the same as you describe in England. I live just in the valley just above Hollyweird. I have to deal with that mentality every day, and it is a battle I tell ya. Being on the Pacific rim region for commerce has fizzled out, so unemployment in SoCal is about 15% now. At least the "immigrants" are starting to head home.

shovelon - NM sounds interesting!

I know what you mean about Hollywood... so much falseness and people trying to get their "breaks"... must get tiring after a while!

I need to look into some options, it's a while off, but I gotta get out :)

Back