Information wanted about Beryl Burton & the frames she used

Just a personal observation and nothing more..........please don't shoot me down

I left for University in 1978 but worked at the bike shop for a couple more years but after that kept an eye on the TT scene to see what was going on. I saw the advent of aero over drillium with Martin Pyne going skinsuit / lo-pro / funny bike plus all the others doing the same.

But for the life of me I can't remember a picture of BB on a Lo-Pro, it might be my memory but nothing rings a bell.

The other thing is I have seen BB and she is quite petite and I guess BITD she would have rode a 19 1/2 inch frame? which is almost a lo-pro in itself. I am no frame builder but dropping the seat tube for more seat pillar showing plus sloping down the top tube would seem to suggest that the top tube would meet the down tube at about the level of the downtube shifters, even with a 650 front wheel.

A I say please don't shot me down but there are a lot of pics of BB and maybe someone can find her on a Raleigh Lo-Pro.

Shaun

PS Paul (Ellis Briggs) we used to sell your frames in our shop :) I know what you mean about frames being spirited out the back door :D

Midlife":3ef854lm said:
Just a personal observation and nothing more..........please don't shoot me down

I left for University in 1978 but worked at the bike shop for a couple more years but after that kept an eye on the TT scene to see what was going on. I saw the advent of aero over drillium with Martin Pyne going skinsuit / lo-pro / funny bike plus all the others doing the same.

But for the life of me I can't remember a picture of BB on a Lo-Pro, it might be my memory but nothing rings a bell.

The other thing is I have seen BB and she is quite petite and I guess BITD she would have rode a 19 1/2 inch frame? which is almost a lo-pro in itself. I am no frame builder but dropping the seat tube for more seat pillar showing plus sloping down the top tube would seem to suggest that the top tube would meet the down tube at about the level of the downtube shifters, even with a 650 front wheel.

A I say please don't shot me down but there are a lot of pics of BB and maybe someone can find her on a Raleigh Lo-Pro.

Shaun

PS Paul (Ellis Briggs) we used to sell your frames in our shop :) I know what you mean about frames being spirited out the back door :D

Shaun
I've just measured the frame & its 50cm centre BB to TOP of the seat tube. Which is 19-5/8 inches.
This frame has only the R/H gear lever boss & no braze on hanger for a front gear.
Also there are no signs on the paint of it ever having had a clamp on front gear fitted either.
IMHO this says to me that its obviously been made for an english tester.
Rear dropouts are 126mm & 24 inch front wheel.
I agree 100% with you, there are shed loads of photos of BB but none that I can find of her on any make of Low Pro frame, only equal wheeled frames.

Chris

stringfellow1946":c6krivds said:
So who built & where were they built, "the Raleigh Castorama Frames" that Fingnon used in 1990 & 1991?? as I believe they were still stamped SB on the bottom bracket?

I have little interest in the post Ilkeston period, but after the closure and the move to Nottingham I believe there was a restructure and what was the SBDU was absorbed in to what was to become Raleigh Special Products (RSP).

The SB prefix was still used as a device for differentiation, much like the W prefix was used once Carlton was closed. It was also at this time (I believe) that the GOD decal* began to appear on framesets - including quite a lot of grey porridge that came out of Nottingham.

Rk.

*although I have mentioned this many times previously I've not seen this decal on an original pre-1986 frameset. It certainly did not appear on the frames issued to the Raleigh-Weinmann team.

N.B I believe some of Laurent Fignon's frames were built by Cyfac and Raleigh - LR rode a Raleigh branded frame in 1989.

Re:

I remember BB riding a Raleigh in one of the Harrogate week events, sorry can"t remember the year as I went to several, but it was an equal wheel job, & in the jolly Team colour scheme Again IIRC she rode an event later in the week on a bike, which was mainly green & bits of gold, with no name transfers I seem to remember both bikes had TA 3 pin single ring chain sets, & Zeus rear mechs.

roadking":3olyhbj0 said:
stringfellow1946":3olyhbj0 said:
So who built & where were they built, "the Raleigh Castorama Frames" that Fingnon used in 1990 & 1991?? as I believe they were still stamped SB on the bottom bracket?

N.B I believe some of Laurent Fignon's frames were built by Cyfac and Raleigh - LR rode a Raleigh branded frame in 1989.

Some of Fignon's frames were build by the Brigg Falcon factory, probably as a favour for GoD when he was busy. I've mentioned this in another thread. Fignon flew to Humberside Airport, was picked up and taken to Brigg where he discussed his requirements and then flew back. The frames were built by one of the better of the factory builders and sent to Raleigh for painting.

Straight from the horse's mouth.

ie - the anonymous builder.

Ok thank you everybody for your help, Its now time for me to start building this frame up into a bike.
I've decided to use Campagnolo Super Record parts being as I have most of the groupset laying around here.
I"m Using Mavic GL 330 28 hole rims, being as they were the only 24 inch NOS rims I could get hold of.
The question is do I use large or small flange hubs? as I have no idea what Testers were using back in 1983/4. Suggestions Please.
Also what make & model of low pro bars? I have a pair of Cinelli LA 84 laying around here & a Cinelli 1A stem would these be correct for 1983/4 as I don't think the Mavic LP Bars were available until the late 80's?.

stringfellow1946":16dvqups said:
Ok thank you everybody for your help, Its now time for me to start building this frame up into a bike.
I've decided to use Campagnolo Super Record parts being as I have most of the groupset laying around here.
I"m Using Mavic GL 330 28 hole rims, being as they were the only 24 inch NOS rims I could get hold of.
The question is do I use large or small flange hubs? as I have no idea what Testers were using back in 1983/4. Suggestions Please.
Also what make & model of low pro bars? I have a pair of Cinelli LA 84 laying around here & a Cinelli 1A stem would these be correct for 1983/4 as I don't think the Mavic LP Bars were available until the late 80's?.

Chris take your pick on hubs I"d guess 65/35 towards small flange. I had my D MARSH Lo Pro in 85 & had cinelli bars & 1A stem not sure if they were LA, but they were proper Lo Pro, not upside down sawn off drops. Didn"t you end up with it or parts off, via Graham Davis, that had some good wheels Lazer on Mavic & Assos on super record or "tother" way around, 24 inch gear was easier to obtain then as it was the (way to go)

Looking forward to seeing this one built up again. Are you going to get the forks painted blue?

Shame it's (probably) not BB's, but still a very nice and very rare Raleigh.

Matt

I have a pair of wheels in the garage used in the junior 25 TT championship in the very late 70's and they are small flange.

Sad to say the large flange hub which looked much better was not in fashion :)

Shaun

Midlife":lgg1vycb said:
I have a pair of wheels in the garage used in the junior 25 TT championship in the very late 70's and they are small flange.

Sad to say the large flange hub which looked much better was not in fashion :)

Shaun

Thanks Shaun I know the testing scene has always been very fusion conscious & obsessed with lightweight stuff.

Chris

Back