Information wanted about Beryl Burton & the frames she used

Re:

I found this comment from 2007 so well before your frame was put up for sale,

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/?showtopic=12685

QUOTE (Denis @ Jun 1 2007, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would like to read it but getting a bit dear. unsure.gif

OT but it looks like Beryl's riding one of those 753 TI Raleigh frames, what a revelation they were when they came out, amazingly light. Thumbup.gif

Yeah she rode Raleigh 'Time Trial Specials' for a long time. She even used a Raleigh Low pro towards the end of her career. She rode for my team , Knaresborough for a couple of seasons along with Debbie Pearson and Margaret Allen , truly inspirational lady. Always remeber her as her birthday was the same day as mine 12th May.

BITD SBDU frames built for an individual had an "H" stamp on them as well as the SB number. Sometimes there was their initials or another unique identifier stamped on............ any thing else on the BB?

Shaun

Midlife":kpfbjgsf said:
BITD SBDU frames built for an individual had an "H" stamp on them as well as the SB number. Sometimes there was their initials or another unique identifier stamped on............ any thing else on the BB?

Shaun

Not that I'm aware of Shaun, but will check the Bottom Bracket closely when it arrives on thursday.
I know some frames did have the riders initials stamped on them from other posts I've read on this forum. So If that applied to all Famous/ Important riders then you would expect that Beryl Burton's frame would have BB on the bottom bracket. I will refrain form making the obvious comment NOW, until I visually check the frame myself. Unless some can 100% prove that BB owned this particular frame.

Thanks for your valued input any other help much appreciated. :)

I'm not sure what Beryl Burton would have had stamped on the BB, Roadking on here had his date of birth stamped on his SBDU frame if memory serves. It's just that I would have expected an H stamp if it was an individual order and not a stock frame.

raleigh_sbdu_serial.jpg

And here in lies the problem, I would not expect HS to get things wrong as he's a commercial seller so he must have sold it with some provenance, a Receipt perhaps?

Shaun

PS I remember BB form the 70's using a variety of frames including Raleigh and Ron Kit frames (and I guess re-badged Speedwell titanium plus other frames in his colours), why he had to choose that god awful green colour defeats me LOL

And she rode Jacques Anquetil frames fitted out with all sorts of RonKit components, a lot of which you would rarely see other riders using such as Balilla brakes. In her very early days I think she rode a Pennine and/or an Ellis Briggs.

I like the Green. A bit bilious perhaps - but distinctive.

A friend has one of her bikes which is a rather special Raleigh built towards the back end of the Ilkeston operation. It is a conventional shape frame but with some special features such as extended head tube.

Re:

OK
The Frame has arrived & all thats stamped on the Bottom Bracket is SB6303 & 50 on the other side.
I have been told today that she rode TA Chainsets with a 3 bolt fixing!! anyone verify this??

Are you going to try the TI Raleigh Yahoo Group.
Hilary Stone tends to answer questions on there so could probably explain why he said it was a Beryl Burton bike.
Also Mike Mullet replies to a lot of questions and he was the Ilkeston workshop manager.

bedraggled":3u31paw6 said:
Are you going to try the TI Raleigh Yahoo Group.
Hilary Stone tends to answer questions on there so could probably explain why he said it was a Beryl Burton bike.
Also Mike Mullet replies to a lot of questions and he was the Ilkeston workshop manager.

Hi
In answer to your question re the Raleigh Yahoo Group 100% NO NO NO, I did become a member of that group for about 3 Days & that was 2 day 23 hours too long as I found them to be a total bunch of &%@£$£@ all they semed to do was slag each others bikes off especially if it had be altered or modified (IE RESPRAYED/ or re built) in any way.
I did think I might phone HS but I'm not 100% convinced with every thing he says or sells, thats (ONLY MY PERSONAL OPINION!! from experience)
Mike Mullett sounds by far the best option to me,
But someone has been in contact with me today & is getting a lady who rode with & knew BB very well for years & she hopefully will be able to give me more information (fingers crossed)

Re: Re:

stringfellow1946":39xrc8x4 said:
OK
The Frame has arrived & all thats stamped on the Bottom Bracket is SB6303 & 50 on the other side.
I have been told today that she rode TA Chainsets with a 3 bolt fixing!! anyone verify this??

That would quite possibly have been the case when she rode for the Morley CC using RonKit parts but I doubt it when, in later years, she rode Raleighs. Plenty of BB action photos around from the era.

Re: Re:

Old Ned":2datt6av said:
stringfellow1946":2datt6av said:
OK

That would quite possibly have been the case when she rode for the Morley CC using RonKit parts but I doubt it when, in later years, she rode Raleighs. Plenty of BB action photos around from the era.

The trouble I'm having Ned is that I can't find any photos of her riding this particular Raleigh Low Pro. (or any Low Pro Frame). Which what makes me think its NOT one of her old frames. Just hoping someone can find one of BB on this frame & maybe to confirm & I can try to identify what components she was using.
Being as she was so famous, I stupidly thought this would prove an easy task.

Back