Information wanted about Beryl Burton & the frames she used

Matt_wood55":2udgls4u said:
Looking forward to seeing this one built up again. Are you going to get the forks painted blue?

Shame it's (probably) not BB's, but still a very nice and very rare Raleigh.

Matt

Hi Matt
Yep almost 100& certain that I will get the forks resprayed, any ideas of the RAL Paint code for the Panasonic Blue?
I'm still undecided as what hubs to use Large or Small Flange? I have asked for suggestions as I don't know much about the testing scene let alone back in 1984 :D

Chris

stringfellow1946":2epxe3tp said:
Matt_wood55":2epxe3tp said:
Looking forward to seeing this one built up again. Are you going to get the forks painted blue?

Matt

Hi Matt
Yep almost 100& certain that I will get the forks resprayed, any ideas of the RAL Paint code for the Panasonic Blue?
I'm still undecided as what hubs to use Large or Small Flange? I have asked for suggestions as I don't know much about the testing scene let alone back in 1984 :D

Chris

Definitely small flange hubs in 1984 from what I remember. That was when I started riding time trials and large flange hubs were soooo last decade.

Mark.

daccordimark":2u2iq2q1 said:
stringfellow1946":2u2iq2q1 said:
Matt_wood55":2u2iq2q1 said:

Matt

Hi Matt

Chris

Definitely small flange hubs in 1984 from what I remember. That was when I started riding time trials and large flange hubs were soooo last decade.

Mark.
Yep, I would agree with small.

Some nice pics of Daryl Webster on a little Raleigh low pro, although I think they may be 1986. Copy that build and you will have something special!

Matt_wood55":2u2m9uhm said:
[quote

Mark.

Some nice pics of Daryl Webster on a little Raleigh low pro, although I think they may be 1986. Copy that build and you will have something special![/quote]

Matt
have you any photos you can PM me of Darryl riding a raleigh Low Pro Please?
Chris

stringfellow1946":29oun3ta said:
Matt_wood55":29oun3ta said:
[quote

Mark.

Some nice pics of Daryl Webster on a little Raleigh low pro, although I think they may be 1986. Copy that build and you will have something special!

Matt
have you any photos you can PM me of Darryl riding a raleigh Low Pro Please?
Chris[/quote]

All I did was a Google Image search for him, there are a few pics, but mainly front on. It's a nice dark blue colour, looks lovely. You could maybe try and contact Daryl himself through Time Trialling Forum, he often posts on there.

Cheers

Lo Pros before 1985?

Just a thought about Darryl Webster...I've quite a few images of him from 1985: his bikes often have Inkley decals on the forks legs - that's Ray Inkley Cycles of Lincoln(I knew Ray well, his was my LBS when I lived near Lincoln).

I have one of DW(Manchester Wheelers strip)and riding what might be a Raleigh, it has the very early SBDU head tube decal(black oval with heron - I have a few NoS originals of these).

No lo pros and no Raleighs in team colours, DWs one is in a lilacy-blue colour, and his, and many of the TT bikes, have the tester's favourite brake - the Dia-Compe with aero levers - many of the TTers in my photo archive are using this brakeset, with a Super Record transmission and Simplex levers.

I have an interesting image (dated 1983) of a Sussex tester on a Mike Mullett frame with what is clearly the early Shimano 600 AX brakeset. I doubt the date of this frame...as very few lo-pros appear on the road in 1985 - least not in my extensive collection of images from this period.

Rk.

Alf Engers rode a Raleigh lo-pro at the end of his career. I'm sure this was in the white and blue colour scheme.

Back