Importing car parts from Holland post Brexit - tax implications?

Carge

Retrobike Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
How does it work these days with buying parts in the EU and paying or not paying tax - then paying VAT/Import duty when it gets into the UK?
It looks like I'm paying 21% tax on the purchase there - which takes it to €1000 - then 20% on top here?

Anyone got any experience of this?
Thanks in advance :)

They said summat like as an individual I needed to pay it - but if I were a company, I wouldn't need to.
Without wanting to sound awkward - how do you know that - as in where can I go to get documentary evidence that I don't need to pay their VAT?

It's a bit more complicated and would involve your seller jumping through a few hoops which most are not willing to do which is why many Eu based bike shops have stopped shipping to the UK.. here, read this.

What i tend to do in these situations is ask the seller if they would be prepared to mark a minimum value on the package and email the relevant documents rather than enclose them, you will only pay UK border charges on declared value, if of course you are prepared to take full responsibility for the loss of the package should the worst happen, so send via a reputable courier with full door to door tracking, otherwise you will pay double VAT.
It's what our government refer to as "taking back control"

Thank you both very much.
That Dutch Tax website is so clear - in English and it'll even read it to you! Maybe HMRC should take a look and do something similar.

Back