I'm overweight!! Where are all the Light+Cheap MTBs

Well, I just got back an hour ago from picking up a 19", 1994 (I think), Marin Pine Mountain from a nice chap up north. Took it for a test ride and it felt amazing. Very stiff and nimble, but most obviously if feels ridiculously light compared to my current MTB which weighs a ton. Woohoo! Carried it into the house in one hand with a bag of shopping in the other. Here's a quick photo of it:

20150513_235025.jpg

Almost all original components as far as I can tell with deore everything :D. Saddle changed at some point though which sucks (I'll probably post in the wanted section, but anyone have a marin one?). All the parts are nice and straight and it came with a couple of spare tyres. Just weighed it and it comes in at about 11.2kg as is. The tyres on it right now are each about 800g each, but I have some which are 390g to put on so should be down to 10.4 tomorrow. Might take some more photos of it later as it's a thing of beauty :).

Was £85 which I was pretty darn happy with and was very pleased to have found something so quickly. Does have a few chips here and there though and some of the decals are peeling a bit. What do you think? Good deal?

xxnick1975":484z1gu5 said:
Peugeot black mamba, perfect for this and cheap!

Very nice bike. I love the "peugeot cycles computer design" sticker and the crazy paint scheme. he he. Amazing condition too! Have you had chance to try it off road?

It's a bit of a puzzle as the bar ends etc were purple for the 94 Pine Mtn - the decals all look right fro the 94 but the bits look like Eldridge being red. I''m pretty sure they are identical bar the colour. Original wheels were Mavic M230, which were beautifully light but fragile. It should make a great tourer. I had a 17.5" one (18.5" c-t on seat tube) which I bought new as a frameset.

The oddity about them is that the fork is 390mm a-c but the head tube is rather steep as if they had planned suspension. I always found the handling on mine somewhat nervous: very fast steering but felt unsure of itself over roots etc. Swapping to a 410mm fork really transformed the handling.

hamster":12d2606c said:
It's a bit of a puzzle as the bar ends etc were purple for the 94 Pine Mtn - the decals all look right from the 94 but the bits look like Eldridge being red. I''m pretty sure they are identical bar the colour.
I was also a little bit confused by the colour of the bar ends, stem and bottle cages. They are all Marin lite (as they should have been), but are a different colour than expected. I think the owner had several Marin bikes from the same era so some parts swapping has gone on. There's probably an Eldridge sitting in his garage right now with 100% pristine components on it. he he

As far as I can tell, I have 1994 Eldridge bar ends, handlebar stem, cages and wheels. Pine mountain everything else. I think the different wheels might explain the slightly heavier weight on the bike compared to the original specs.

hamster":12d2606c said:
Swapping to a 410mm fork really transformed the handling.

Ah, interesting. I'll bear that in mind. Gonna test it out a bunch more first though and see how It goes as is. May not need to go over too many roots, but it will have to handle massive massive potholes fully loaded with bags etc. I'm packing light though so max possible load of 90kg including me.

KDM":12d2606c said:
you will be surprised how many retro bikes make great tourers and not even high end ones
That website makes me drool. To be honest that's where I learnt about the Marin Muirwoods and Specialized rockhopper which was my starting point leading to me getting the Pine Mountain/Eldridge Grade cross yesterday :).

The Pine Mountain fork is a beautiful light thing. The one on my 17.5" frame weighed 780g - there aren't that many carbon MTB forks below that level, certainly not until you spend bonkers money.

Here is my 94 Kona Kilauea in touring mode. It works for me! Even did the Mull sportive on it (minus panniers)

Attachments

• Tobermory.jpg
    Tobermory.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 485
Look at Diamondbacks. Apex or Axis. Rigid bikes come in around 23-24lb. They are strong, light and cheap. They weren't new, but they are unfashionable, and therefore cheap currently. Cheapest place is ebay

Back