** Ibis Tranny 29er - ENVE **

Re: ** Ibis Tranny 29 - rigid ENVE - finished (almost!) 19/11**

Itsallablur":2t20pt1n said:
Would like to know how the Enve forks compare to the Niner RDOs and that my set of Bos Dizzys would complete that marine tranny very noicely.

I looked at buying a marine tranny in large on ebay from 2pure outlet but had to back off for monetry reasons and the fact I had four top end bikes in the garage at the time all different frame materials. lol oh the vanity factor.

What's your thoughts on enve vs niner forks?

Re: ** Ibis Tranny 29 - rigid ENVE - finished (almost!) 19/11**

Itsallablur":1cshseee said:
Itsallablur":1cshseee said:
Would like to know how the Enve forks compare to the Niner RDOs and that my set of Bos Dizzys would complete that marine tranny very noicely.

I looked at buying a marine tranny in large on ebay from 2pure outlet but had to back off for monetry reasons and the fact I had four top end bikes in the garage at the time all different frame materials. lol oh the vanity factor.

What's your thoughts on enve vs niner forks?

will update here after i've been for a ride on it! ;)

the Niner forks i had were qr axle, i was going to spec the RDO version on this, but was unable to find a pair in stock anywhere, that's what sent me off down the ENVE road!

the Niners were very precise, not overly supple, although the Ti bars helped regain some comfort. tracking and direction change was great though

Re:

as it's finished now i thought i'd try get it weighed

i had the wheels off this morning so i could fill them with sealant so seized the moment and stole the wifes kitchen scales.... again! :oops:

front wheel - 1.987
rear wheel - 2.460
frame, forks etc. - 4.815
wheels axles - 0.137
frame supports - 0.035 (subtract this from frame weight)

TOTAL WEIGHT - 9.364 kg or 20.644 lbs

not bad for a 29er, and i think there's weight to be saved, with the wheels especially, although i wish i had weighed them before i put the tyres on as that's where all the weight is i think. when the wheels arrived i thought they felt really light, but once the tyres went on, that all changed! :?

still, it's a compromise, i'm 15 stone so super-light stuff is not much use to me, something that's practical and is going to last suits me more than feather-light and fragile.

could go with an XTR cassette and the carbon version of the saddle i bought..... i'll see what Santa says! :xmas-wink:

now all that remains is to get it out and dirty! :cool:

Attachments

• supports.jpg
    supports.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 737
  • axles.jpg
    axles.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 737
  • frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 737
  • rearwheel.jpg
    rearwheel.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 737
  • frontwheel.jpg
    frontwheel.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 737
Re:

finally complete with the single chain ring :cool:

Attachments

• Ibis29.jpg
    Ibis29.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 731
Re: ** Ibis Tranny 29 - rigid ENVE **

I do wish it was green though. That was stunningly loud but classy. This is a bit more 'under the radar'.

Thats a good weight for a wagon wheel bike, my 26er is 9kg (but with front suss.) getting it down to the last nth will make no difference, like you say good quality and practical wins over light/feather weight everytime with 15 stoners like us! :cool:

15 stone? I dream of 15 stone.

So 32/42? Will that go up anything then?

Wondering if I need three on the front of the incoming salsa.

The History Man":10tx2ybi said:
15 stone? I dream of 15 stone.

So 32/42? Will that go up anything then?

Wondering if I need three on the front of the incoming salsa.

yeah J, it would pretty much climb a wall if i was able! :D

the high gear spins along at a good old rate, and the low is just ridiculous! whereas once upon a time, with a standard round ring on loose terrain, on the downward-power part of the pedal stroke you'd maybe feel the tyre start to lose traction, with the oval ring it smooths the action out, so all the pedal stroke energy is output as forward motion, love it! you would never know it wasn't a round ring, it's undetectable that it's wonky!

my recommendation would be to go one by something, i've tried nine and eleven and loved it, but especially eleven. the spread of gears is all you'd ever need, can't imagine ever needing more on a mountain bike to be honest, plus there's the weight saving and simplicity of no front mech, it's win win :cool:

Back