I was gobsmacked

She was without doubt very stupid and made a mistake that many inexperienced drivers make of being distracted by something other than what she should have been looking at. But as Alison said she will suffer from this for the rest of her life. Quite rightly some would say. How many young drivers have that close shave that could have been a lot worse?

I drive tens of thousands of miles a year on business and have done since I got my first company car at the age of 19, having had a full car and motorcycle licence since I was 17.

Over the years I have made countless mistakes and errors of judgement, none of them have been motivated by aggression and none of them have resulted in the death of an innocent person.

On the road these days there is a new and growing breed of fast, aggressive, overconfident driver, I see several every day, they are young women driving small hatchback cars. These kinds of accidents, and others like the hit and run that Emma Way committed will continue to grow.

As for being young and making mistakes; if you are old enough to hold a full driving licence, then you are old enough to take FULL responsibility for your actions, misguided or not, behind the wheel.

I had a couple of silly crashes when I was younger, one of which shortened my car by a couple of feet, but I am eternally grateful that I never hurt anyone; that would have been very hard to live with.

NeilM":3tcw2x78 said:
I drive tens of thousands of miles a year on business and have done since I got my first company car at the age of 19, having had a full car and motorcycle licence since I was 17.

Over the years I have made countless mistakes and errors of judgement, none of them have been motivated by aggression and none of them have resulted in the death of an innocent person.

On the road these days there is a new and growing breed of fast, aggressive, overconfident driver, I see several every day, they are young women driving small hatchback cars. These kinds of accidents, and others like the hit and run that Emma Way committed will continue to grow.

As for being young and making mistakes; if you are old enough to hold a full driving licence, then you are old enough to take FULL responsibility for your actions, misguided or not, behind the wheel.

It's not necessarily the young, I was doing a course and was asked to be the student representative at a meeting about the course, which was running from many colleges. The chemistry teacher, who was in his 50's and a Dr, drove me there and my god did I wish I'd gone in mine, he drove like a complete madman, speeding well over the limit, serious tailgating, weaving in and out trying to overtake people who were going at quite respectable speeds overtaking at really risky moment's I definitely felt a little poo come out and I refused the lift back.

The difference often b/w 17 year old and say 30 year olds is apparently the difference in how their respective brains work and very young brains struggle to see themselves as anything other than invincible. maybe that's a case for delaying the age at which youngsters can drive, although I think my son who passed at 17 has always been responsible and now has a full Articulated HGV license (not sure what they call that now) although I have never been a spy in the cab when he's alone or with friends.

Alison

Alison":2f9ext81 said:
It's not necessarily the young, I was doing a course and was asked to be the student representative at a meeting about the course, which was running from many colleges. The chemistry teacher, who was in his 50's and a Dr, drove me there and my god did I wish I'd gone in mine, he drove like a complete madman, speeding well over the limit, serious tailgating, weaving in and out trying to overtake people who were going at quite respectable speeds overtaking at really risky moment's I definitely felt a little poo come out and I refused the lift back.

The difference often b/w 17 year old and say 30 year olds is apparently the difference in how their respective brains work and very young brains struggle to see themselves as anything other than invincible. maybe that's a case for delaying the age at which youngsters can drive, although I think my son who passed at 17 has always been responsible and now has a full Articulated HGV license (not sure what they call that now) although I have never been a spy in the cab when he's alone or with friends.

Alison

I didn't say it was just young women who drive badly, and what you say is absolutely right, but as a daily high mileage driver you get to see trends that commuters and weekend drivers just don't see, and one of the growing trends, along with 'racing driver' older drivers (of both sexes), are very aggressive young women.

she used the car in a threating way due to her impatience, I hope she can never bring herself to get behind a wheel again. how much longer do we have to put up with these feeble excuses for taking lives because people cant be bothered to wait a few seconds.

Alison":25g9xu62 said:
Sorry to be argumentative but revving a car isn't a crime, rude yes, very rude in fact, but a crime no.

It is if you're doing it to intimidate somebody, which she has admitted she was. If a traffic cop had witnessed it she would have been prosecuted for that alone, even if the rest of it hadn't happened.

Why a traffic cop and name the traffic offence please?

POA is all I can think of.

qdlfSCr.jpg

What an intellectual.

Back