I need help with modern parts please!

OK, good to know about the mechanical discs and the frame adaptor, although I don't fancy adding more weight than necessary and it does look a bit 'clumsy' if you know what I mean. I've just come back from my LBS, and the news there is that right now shimano 10s parts are cheaper than 9s, because the 9s stuff is 'spare parts' as opposed to 'new parts', and they (shimano) are pushing the 10s stuff. He did say though that 9s won't be disappearing any time soon.

As for forks, the reba seems very popular and seems to fit all the criteria i want. I'll probably be looking for a used one though, so what do I need to look out for? anything that should be avoided? are they easy enough to refurb with new seals and bushings? are they known for failing in a particular way, or do they have a common problem?

I still don't know if this project is even going to go ahead though - I need to work out what it will cost before anything else!

Thanks again, I really am learning a lot with this thread!

Andy

The A2Z disc adapters will work at the rear as well but only on ali frames as you need flat dropouts at the back.

hamster":xhc8ljj0 said:
Stronglight, TA, Middleburn, BlackSpire and RaceFace all still make 5-bolt rings.

They also make them out of metal, unlike the silvery cheese of Shimano rings. :LOL:

Aye, true enough, they are made.. But to FIND a 5-bolt chainring, in stock, getting harder to do..

I'm getting a clearer picture of a possible build now. I think an SLX 2x10 drivetrain is top of the list, but can anyone confirm that a 10s cassette will fit on any 8, 9 or 10s hub?

And I have no idea about BBs - do they make the new (outboard) style to fit traditional (mid 90s) threaded BB shells? I know there are loads of BB standards now...

thanks, Andy

10s cassette should fit just fine on any 8-9-10 speed freewheel. I've read that the 10-speed cassettes are slightly wider though, but that is handled by a deeper lockring. So use the lockring that came with the cassette.
Then again I'm no expert on cassettes etc. I know how to wear them out, and that's about it. :LOL:

No idea about the different types of BB thread, but I had similar plans for one of my Sbikes and my LBS assured me that a modern BB will fit mine. So the threads haven't changed. If an old Shimano BB fits, so will modern ones.

OK, thanks. I'm now looking at rear hubs - any suggestions for a 135mm, 32h, 8/9/10s shimano, non-disc rear hub that won't break the bank and isn't too porky? Or will I just have to get a disc hub?

The freewheel size hasn't changed between 8, 9 and 10 speed, so if your hub is a 8 speed one then a 10 speed cassette will fit (there are one or two notable exceptions, but they are mainly road related, like the hubs on WH-6600 where the freewheel is alloy and the splines are deeper so only 10 speed cassettes will fit).

As for BBs, the actual threading is the same, so as long as you get the right threading (IIRC it is rare for a MTB to have Italian thread, so you need English thread) and it will just thread right in. It is worth noting that you can use road BB with MTB, and vice-versa. Spacers may be needed to get the right width but they will work. One common swap, for CX'ers, if fitting a RaceFace crankset is to use a 105 (road) external BB along with a couple of 1mm spacers as the RF BB is pants. This is the setup I have on my On-One InBred 29er.

The confusion comes with the much newer BB30, BB92 etc etc, some of which are push fit and are completely incompatible with the age old standards (English thread has been around since dinosaurs rode these dusty trails!)

In terms of hubs/wheels, I'd suggest going onto Chain Reaction's website, and looking up their custom wheel build options..
You don't have to buy it, however the selector allows you to mix & match various hub/rim/spoke/cassette options which means you can then see roughly whether it will break your particular bank or not.. ;)

Strange as it may sound, but eBay is worth a look as many people seem to swap out the original wheels that came with their brand new bikes. If you're lucky you can get a set of WTB Laserdisc or Bontrager Racelight rims on Deore hubs, with disc mounts and/or rim surfaces for £60-80 a pair, having done maybe 20 miles total! I found some which even included tyres and tubes, making an absolute bargain..

What 'old' frame do you have, by the way, and what riding are you intending?
Difficult to recommend rims or hubs if we don't know what you're planning on doing to them! ;)

the 'old' frame I have is a 1995 parkpre pro elite :)

I have a set of good condition mavic 217 rims, so might as well just use those I think, which just leaves me needing hubs and spokes.

thanks, Andy

Another question... are front and rear disc calipers the same, or is there a difference? Since finding a fork with canti bosses is going to be harder than finding one without (I think), then I'm going to need a front disc brake. I'll almost certainly be looking for an avid BB7, as I can then use the levers that I already have, and will avoid the expense and possible hassle of a hydraulic system. A quick look at ebay has thrown up quite a few full sets (front and rear) of BB7s, but I only need one - must it be a front, or would a rear work on the front?

and how best to choose rotor size?

I guess there's not much in it between centrelock and 6-bolt hubs?

Back