i need a new telly! talk to me!!! tell me!!

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Tv has died :(

what's the score these days? haven't bought a TV in ages, primarily because mine worked, i'm not obsessed with new technology as you can imagine being here on retrobike but i would like something half decent.

so LCD, plasma, flat screen etc what should i be looking for?

not looking for a daft money set up but i'd prefer it to have the option of standing and wall mounted (for later use) and a medium sized screen.

who has what and what do you recommend?

and if it makes any difference, it gets plugged into a sky digibox thing, the non hd one.

:D

my tip would be to go to a shop a try em out. i bought a toshiba on price/spec but wished i had tried using it as the operating system is poo. nice picture and ok sound once set up though. its a 32" lcd and is perfect for a 5mx3m living room

jamabikes":1kx2vjf3 said:
my tip would be to go to a shop a try em out. i bought a toshiba on price/spec but wished i had tried using it as the operating system is poo. nice picture and ok sound once set up though. its a 32" lcd and is perfect for a 5mx3m living room
Agreed with that - check them out and have a good play. Also, see if there's any of them setup with a similar source - so presumably, Sky (or I suppose some other DVB source) over SCART.

jonnyboy666":1880uw0b said:
i'm not obsessed with new technology as you can imagine being here on retrobike but i would like something half decent.

Its hard to go down the non technology route as all TV's are now 'flatscreens'

As for new, anything from around £400+ will be fine these days. Some come with a 5 year warranty.

Get a TV that fits the room otherwise if its too big you'll not get any benefit from quality sources such as HD broadcasts (which make standard TV look better BTW) as all you'll see is pixels.

'smart' TV's are good idea as they let you access iPlayer etc directly

I have a 32" Panasonic Viera LCD in my main room (about 13'x13') it fills the corner of the room nicely and is about the right size for the room as it's not taking over the room & gives good quality viewing from 10' away, well worth looking at Panasonic telly's, had 2 in over 15 years, both very good quality

Think about only the size you want.40" seems to be the normal,then just go out and pick one that is in your price bracket,size and buy it.
Dont read any specs or you'll still be trying to decide 3 months down the line.

thanks for the replies,

how do you measure them? screen wise, is it corner to corner diagonally?

to be honest most of the specs will go over my head! also, whatever operating system it is i will get used to it and i am not brand specific here either.

:)

i bought a 40'' LCD for my bedroom this year from ASDA or tesco, cant think wich one, but it was only £300 and it has all the extras and sockets etc.

jonnyboy666":155pq2lk said:
thanks for the replies,

how do you measure them? screen wise, is it corner to corner diagonally?

to be honest most of the specs will go over my head! also, whatever operating system it is i will get used to it and i am not brand specific here either.

:)
yup, measured corner to corner of the 'visible' screen, not from the outer casing

My ex always hated huge tv's and had the old box type then when it popped after 10 years she bought a lg 32 inch led 1080p hd ready with freeview. Led does give a far better picture, a bit like the newer phones and ipads. As many hdmi ports as you can get so you can connect the games consule and ahem watch new films on your tv via your laptop.

The only regret she has is that she should have bought a 42 inch as 32 inch seems a bit too small.

Back