I always wanted one of these! RC200 F3

Running cantis with V levers shouldn't be a bother, just pull a bit more cable so should still work, but I agree its not ideal. For now I'm sticking with the XT cantis and 738 levers. If the bike works out for me and I find the canti brakes are a bit too retro then Vs are an obvious step and not too far from period either with the 739s, but thats a decision for if and when. I remember liking the old cantis back in the day, nice and tunable and great for wheelies so giving them a go.

I thought about stripping the paint off the levers, I would lose the decal on the back of the lever too so lose whatever I do. Also I wasn't too keen on dismantling the unit as it looked like it was a fixed pivot rather than bolt. Might be simple, not looked in detail. Is it a simple job?

Plan is I will fit them for starters and see how it all goes, can always tweak later.

Re:

It's simple, and you just don't put the stripper down the back and it looks good and you keep the XT.
You don't need much on. Other stuff may work but nitromors was neat and simple and it was next to me

So now the forks are back together time to get on with the build!

I bought a new Cane Creek 40 headset since the one that came fitted had been badly adjusted and was pretty much seized dry so was in no state to be used. Clearly not a contemporary item but I’m fine with that. A 5mm 1” headset spacer was also found so hopefully the front end will be just right now without the wibble. Managed to squeeze the tioga bars into the controltech stem and it looks OK, not 100% convinced it’s a keeper but it will do for now. I still don’t think I want the blue bits but lets see how it grows on me. I might yet go for the blue renthal bars and a splattering of blue bolts and accessories, but I doubt it.

I managed to get hold of some XT 739 STI units. I think the levers are a better colour than the 738s (silver rather than grey) and they are slightly shorter (2 finger rather than 3?) which I think looks better but still undecided. Either way, that’s shifters and levers. Cantis and mechs are all cleaned up and bolted on so ready for cables. Pushed the boat out a bit and got some shiny new XT/R cables so hopefully that will be super slick shifting and braking! Drivetrain all looks good and the chain is still fairly fresh so that should just slide on and hopefully work a treat too.

Still need to give the wheels a final true, I’m just waiting on a quiet evening in front of the telly to work that one. I don’t have a jig so I will roll the bike into the living room and get comfy with a brew. Not done it for a while (15+ years?) so will be a bit of a faff no doubt while I find my stride. So plan is now true wheels, set brakes and gears, test ride. Sounds simple.

I found an hour on Saturday afternoon to sit with a brew and get the wheels trued up, so now the brakes are set, gears are set, found some spare pedals in the bin and out for a test ride... all the way to the end of the road. Gave it a bit of a tweak on the cables, and bounced about a bit to pull the wheels around and bounce the forks. Final spit and polish still to go but its now, once again, a working bike!

The frame is still not great. I have polished out the dull but it really needs a lot more time with the abrasives to polish out the 'patina of age'. Final tweak on the cables and spokes this morning then if all passes muster I'm off to the forest this afternoon, might even take her for a spin!

Spec List:
Frame: Pace RC200 F3
Fork: RockShox Judy XC, kronos spring upgrade
Shimano Deore XT groupset: 737 chainset, brakes, hubs and mechs, 739 STI shifters, XT/R cables,
Sitting: Syncros seatpost, Flite saddle,
Steering: Cane Creek 40 Headset, Controltech stem (new Ti bolts), Tioga DL2001 bars, Yeti grips,
Wheels: XT 737 Hubs, Matrix Swami USA rims, DB spokes, Onza Rip & Rail 1.9 tyres

Attachments

• RC200 build1 front.JPG
    RC200 build1 front.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 908
  • RC200 build1 Drive.JPG
    RC200 build1 Drive.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 908
  • RC200 build1 DS.JPG
    RC200 build1 DS.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 908
  • RC200 build1 NDS.JPG
    RC200 build1 NDS.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 908
Re:

Looks nice to me, I'd leave the patina unless you really need a poilshed bike for a bit.

Might even get mine sorted properly and try and make it a nice bike to ride.

just ride it dude, i usually strip mine to check for cracks over winter and polish it but after one ride looks the same as it was haha

Re:

Just noticed this thread...

Nice to see another RC200 saved and back in use.

I have some M738 STIs in really good nick going spare.
And a 1" RC35 with a long steerer. Elastomers were changed but never used a year or so ago. Sadly you'd need to source a brake rocker though.
Also have a slightly shorter Control Tech stem in 1" going spare.

Might be interested in the forks and stem.... what sort of numbers were you thinking?

I prefer these sti units over the older ones, levers are better colour and I prefer a shorter lever too. I have them listed in my sale thread.

In related news, first test rise not 100% successful.

Seat post is too long, got want to trim the original so after a replacement.

Reach is a bit long too, so shorter stem may follow, depends how it feels with a lower saddle.

Clicking from either bb or left pedal, will need investigation.

Other than that, ace. Brakes and gears fine, just need to get used to narrow bars!

Re:

So how much do you want for the post ;-)

Clicking, also try taking the seatclamp out, cleaning and then heading all of it and reinstalling.

They click quite often and is a 'feature'

Back