I accidentally bought a Pace RC200 F6...

Right, been away a few days, so didn't get time to update the thread.

Despite only being a gentle shakedown (with a 7 year old in tow on his Islabike!), it was fantastic. The bike is as light and stiff as I remember it from all those years ago in Canada. That was the reason I was lusting after it! Gears worked perfectly, and the front forks just right.

I had so much fun, I was showing off my bunny hop and wheelie abilities to The Boy. Don't think I've tried the latter in about 20 years! Those old skills never leave. Form temporary, class permanent and all that!

Had to fiddle a bit with the headset (I only had some plastic plumbing pipe to bash the bottom race thingy on to the steer with -- a few hard miles, and yes, bunny hops, evidently pushed it on a bit further), but otherwise perfect.

Can't wait now to give it a proper ragging on the red run!

Godammit, just bought some Middleburn RS3s with red spider and red chainrings. Price was too good to miss.

Is this how it starts?

I'll do a Pepsi Challenge with the RaceFace cranks (which I still love). Question is, do I sell the losers, or buy a Zaskar LE frame to put them on?

WandsworthRouleur":bkh4pshp said:
I'll do a Pepsi Challenge with the RaceFace cranks (which I still love). Question is, do I sell the losers, or buy a Zaskar LE frame to put them on?

I like your thinking - dammit, spare cranks. Oh well, new build then!

WandsworthRouleur":11ljsxxw said:
Godammit, just bought some Middleburn RS3s with red spider and red chainrings. Price was too good to miss.

Is this how it starts?

Middleburn on Pace :cool:

Race Face to me ;)

Easy :mrgreen:

Well, it's a while since I updated this thread (been busy in the run up to holiday, then holiday!).

I was going to show some lovely photos of MIddleburns. However, they can wait.

Instead, I have a horror story...

Having just got back from central Italy (close enough to the 'quake to feel it and be bloody terrified, far enough away for only slight damage thankfully), I was planning on spanking the Pace this weekend. Went to the barn to give it a pre-ride fettle this evening and saw this:

Pt5V4sg.jpg

Holy Fecking McFeck! The Zooka was fine when I put it away 3 weeks ago. How the hell did this happen? And how lucky am I that it didn't happen half way down a proper rad/gnarly downhill?

I forget exactly how Ringlé made the Zooka. Did they follow the standard 90's technique of machining Al billet, rather than forging and machining? If so, that would explain the propensity for Zooka stems and Moby seat posts to crack.

Anyway, what now?

Does anyone have a front plate for a Zooka? Do I ditch Ringlé and go for a Syncros?

Whatever, I'll need a matching seat post. I've been looking and failing to find a 29.4mm Moby, so maybe I'll have more luck with a Syncros post.

Oh, and maybe I should make more use of my torque wrench...

I took the Pace around Bedgebury on Saturday with The Offspring. While they were messing around with The Dog by the lake, I thought I'd get some decent photos.

I've tweaked a few things -- sorted a nice red Ringlé stem front plate to replace the broken one above, zero layback Thomson post (for a better riding position -- think the stem is a little long still), new Jagwire grey braided cables, some red alu no name bar plugs (to replace the ill fitting ODIs), and finally, I fitted the Middleburn cranks.

So, without further ado, here are the photos...
1q9k2DG.jpg

EY2rFAI.jpg

HxoqFgE.jpg

Back