I’ve given a home to a knackered old Dog on its last legs-

1991 Trek 8900 carbon composite 8700

foz":3vvg1z2w said:
Looking forward to this one Spud! I nearly got the road version of this not long ago, ended up with a Giant Cadex instead, thankfully doesn't need painting or any work at all really

What happened to the Porsche? finished yet?

Well this is going to sound ridiculous … I’ve hit a brickwall and everything has stopped dead –hence why this has taken a front seat.

Are you sitting comfortably ? - this goes something like the nursery rhyme about an old lady who swallowed a spider

I’m waiting on a rim decal from Gil for the Porsche …. No really I am,

I can’t put the last spoke in the wheels until I’ve fitted the decal

I can’t have the wheels trued until they’re fully laced

I can’t set the Magura's up properly until the wheels are fitted (they're too wibbly wobbly side to side at the moment)

And joking aside with my limited fingers I can’t adjust the cylinders and fight the race lines at the same time if the hoses are connected so once the brakes are fitted and bolted up tight in the right position - I can plumb them in.

I can't set up the gears as I'll need to slide the Sach Waveys off the bars in order to get the HS11 levers off in order to bleed the brakes properly and the cables are too short to allow them to just slide off :facepalm:

I know this is a Dumb state of affairs ^^but that’s where I'm at -genuine 1st world problem(s). I've sent Gil a few mails but he’s either very busy with real work that pays the bills, or I’ve unset him

player":3vvg1z2w said:
Love it dude and always had a soft spot for these frames.
Are you going to re lacquer the carbon or just leave it bare?

The black is as black as the night sky or the Ace of spades and the Matt Carbon looks super fresh, but if you run a wet finger over it the weave just comes to life and pop’s a treat, so it’ll most likely be clear coated

enc":3vvg1z2w said:
nice project. how will you refinish the yellow and black squiggle bits ?

That’s the biggy

My 1990 TBG Cindercone is Spatter painted and whilst I’ve read its not as easy as many think to convincingly reproduce the results, on this it’s quite different the black is more like fine wavey pin stripes/Hair etc rather than blobs – far more subtle / perhaps refined. I’ve marvelled at it, gone away - come back for a second and third look and to be honest gone away again

Rather than try to make a crude pastiche of the original I’m toying with just staying with the Neon Yellow or RAL 1026 aka Luminous Yellow on its own alongside poptastic Carbon

Not the best picture in the world but the best I have to show the black hair like random pattern adorning the yellow

Attachments

• IMG_1767.JPG
    IMG_1767.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 1,764
1991 Trek 8900 Neon Yellow

sinnerman":21mgepzr said:
Neither brand will tick a box for everyone, but its far from a dog. It was top of the Range, obtainable and compared to the likes of the Tricked out Fat Chance YO EDDY in Superbikes Tests BITD.

Good on you for saving it.

I'm sure it will surprise you..!

I have the superbike test somewhere ill dig it out and scan it if its not already here.

If you do find your copy I would be interested in seeing a scan of it :D

Spud... the black squiggles are easy, you just need static electricity to give you a helping hand.
Try this on a test piece;
1st rub the tube in one direction (a lot) with something that releases a positive charge like dry human skin, human hair or animal fur.
2nd dip a brush into some black paint (humbrol enamel for example) when you get within about 10mm of the charged surface, the paint will leap off the brush in exactly that squiggle pattern, I promise.

Come to think of it, carbon fibre is an excellent conductor... so you could try linking the component to the negative of a car battery then linking with a wire and a crock clip the metal part of the brush to the positive... the paint will probably jump an inch!

PeachyPM":3ke7kzv2 said:
Spud... the black squiggles are easy, you just need static electricity to give you a helping hand.
Try this on a test piece;
1st rub the tube in one direction (a lot) with something that releases a positive charge like dry human skin, human hair or animal fur.
2nd dip a brush into some black paint (humbrol enamel for example) when you get within about 10mm of the charged surface, the paint will leap off the brush in exactly that squiggle pattern, I promise.

Dont forget to video it :LOL:

Back