I’ve given a home to a knackered old Dog on its last legs-

Great project, in both senses. I dont think i would have the patience to rescue this.

Are these bonded, and do they have bonding issues like other makes sometimes encounter?

Definitely one of Treks better efforts. I've ridden an 8300 fitted with RS Mag10 forks. They are not light bikes but they ride well enough and are dependable. They don't seem to suffer debonding issues from what I recall.

Carl.

Dare":b3j1vdm6 said:
I can't wait to see what you make of this. How far along are you with the project?

This far :LOL: the thing is once I started I just couldn't can't stop :shock:

and it just peeled off like a cheese string with little to no effort what so ever. The only areas where the clear coat was still mildly stuck was under the decals where I'm guessing the UV light had not penetrated.

Before I knew it I had a piles of the stuff !

before the big strip

and AFTER - check out that NAKED carbon :cool:

The reason for the paint coming off was..... well it just came off in massive chunks - so the lot went ! some areas need the careful application of paint stripper but only on the parts that the paint was actually stuck to the Aluminium. which was a minor blessing as Nitromores these days takes ages and does jack shit

Anyway here's what was under the paint.... real patina - 28 years worth, looks alarming but cleaned up a treat with a scot pad

This Dogs on the way back

Attachments

• IMG_1761.JPG
    IMG_1761.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,244
  • IMG_1763.JPG
    IMG_1763.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 1,243
  • IMG_1772.JPG
    IMG_1772.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 1,244
  • IMG_1701.JPG
    IMG_1701.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,242
  • IMG_1795.JPG
    IMG_1795.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 1,242
  • IMG_1785.JPG
    IMG_1785.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,241
Nice one dude, glad it’s gonna get tHe love it deserves. Rode reaaaalynice ut too manybikes and it’s the wrong shaped tubes for me now haha

Will it be at mayhem?

Re:

i think you will love this, the effort you are going too wont be wasted im sure.

:oops: i must confess i have one, and apart from if im going somewhere where i have to leave it locked and unattended its my daily rider. Alas after many years of trouble free use, the RS1 fork seals have just given up... :cry:

Re: Re:

sinnerman":3e6055p3 said:
i think you will love this, the effort you are going too wont be wasted im sure.

:oops: i must confess i have one, and apart from if im going somewhere where i have to leave it locked and unattended its my daily rider. Alas after many years of trouble free use, the RS1 fork seals have just given up... :cry:

Thanks for the encouragement Carl, my plans are so long term I’ve not bolted a single part to the frame - let alone test ride it :facepalm:

I have grand plans and high hopes for this old veteran so good to know it’s not actually a dog !

Just took a leap of faith...

longun":fzgza4pt said:
Nice one dude, glad it’s gonna get the love it deserves. Rode reaaaaly nice b
ut too manybikes and it’s the wrong shaped tubes for me now haha

Will it be at mayhem?

Mayhem is the plan buddy, as the shocking neon yellow will match the shoes and my Royce top - no need for lights on the night lap !

I’m hoping to pair it up with Manitou 1’s which are currently getting polished to oblivion and new elastomers are on Route,

RS1’s would be good but I like the simplicity of M1’s and the colour of them suits the black carbon.

As for the rest black XT 730/732 is top of the list. Just need to find a decent rear 32hole hub

Re: Re:

Retro Spud":2k0o169k said:
sinnerman":2k0o169k said:

Thanks for the encouragement Carl, my plans are so long term I’ve not bolted a single part to the frame - let alone test ride it :facepalm:

I have grand plans and high hopes for this old veteran so good to know it’s not actually a dog !

Just took a leap of faith...

Along with Cannondale i fear Trek have always had a bit of a bum deal, especially so long after the fact with people like ourselves who long for things we couldnt obtain or afford as young lings. And now thos high price hard to find items are just onld itmes that are affordable, the Trek like Dale take more of a back seat preference.

I remember being new here and getting into a rather heated debate with a very respected member, both of us throwing our toys out of the cot, over our opinions of both Trek and Cannondale. It tooks us both several years sadly to understand each others point of view but im pleased to say we both got there in the end, and have both respect and admiration for those views now.

Neither brand will tick a box for everyone, but its far from a dog. It was top of the Range, obtainable and compared to the likes of the Tricked out Fat Chance YO EDDY in Superbikes Tests BITD.

Good on you for saving it.

Im sure it will surprise you..!

I have the superbike test somewhere ill dig it out and scan it if its not already here.

Looking forward to this one Spud! I nearly got the road version of this not long ago, ended up with a Giant Cadex instead, thankfully doesn't need painting or any work at all really

What happened to the porsche? finished yet?

Re:

Love it dude and always had a soft spot for these frames.

Are you going to re lacquer the carbon or just leave it bare?

Latest posts

Back