Hub/Cassette type?

RadNomad

Senior Retro Guru
Hi.. I wish to reduce the gearing on my 1986 Carlton Carrera but i am not familiar with the hub type. It looks different to old screw-on freewheels or the modern freehub/cassette like my MTBs have, so i don't know how it comes apart. The two photos below show my Carlton's hub/cassette and the third photo is an ebay pic which seems to be the same kind of hub. My Carlton has a complete Shimano 105 golden arrow groupset.

Questions:

1). Is my hub similar type to the ebay photo?
2). How to remove the sprockets (is it a cassette or seperate sprockets)? What type of tool is required?
3). My Carlton is 6 speed with friction shifters. Could i fit a 7 or 8 speed cassette onto my original hub? (.. if such a cassette exists for this type of hub..).
4). Any idea what kind of gear spread i could get away with while retaining the original golden arrow derailleur? Original rear gearing is 13T-24T. Maybe 13T-28T would work?

I tried gearing the bike down by changing the front inner ring from 42T to 39T but i still find the gearing to high for me.
Any help much appreciated, thanks!

It looks lie an early 6 speed Uniglide Cassette. Way to modern for me :).

I have a similar hub in the garage, the last time I looked for a new cassette I tracked it down to Rose in Germany. You need 2 chain whips to remove the locking cog.

Hopefully someone younger will drop in to help :)

Shaun

yep, 6 speed UG. on that hub, you're limited to 6 speed. You can fit standard 7 speed HG sprockets and spacers, then just use the original locking sprocket to hold them all on. No idea on your rear mech, but it will probably take more than 24 teeth without too much trouble. 28 might be too many... try it and see.

Hi Foz, thanks for the heads up about using 7 speed HG sprockets. That should make it easier to find something :). All I need now us the locking sprocket lol

Shaun

Or if you can find one, 13-24 was a set of ratios that came with Uniglide. They pop up on eBay from time to time.

Shaun, I've had a look because I thought I had a spare UG threaded sprocket, but can't find it. I think I'm wrong, but is it possible that the threads are the same as an english threaded screw on hub, and english threaded BB? I don't think they are...

foz":2bwyw65q said:
Shaun, I've had a look because I thought I had a spare UG threaded sprocket, but can't find it. I think I'm wrong, but is it possible that the threads are the same as an english threaded screw on hub, and english threaded BB? I don't think they are...
They're not quite the same. The pitch of both is 24tpi, but the diameter of the Uniglide thread is very slightly smaller. Thread here:

viewtopic.php?t=170876

The simplest solution is to buy a 7 speed freehub body - it will fit and allow a 7 speed cassette instead. Simplest is to cannibalize a complete 7 speed hub and keep the existing (presumably 126mm OLN) axle.

hamster":2jvkfjax said:
The simplest solution is to buy a 7 speed freehub body - it will fit and allow a 7 speed cassette instead. Simplest is to cannibalize a complete 7 speed hub and keep the existing (presumably 126mm OLN) axle.
These early Uniglide hubs used a different mounting system for the freehub body, which is why the hub shell doesn't have the drive-side bulge of later hubs:

http://sheldonbrown.com/images/uniglide-oldhub.jpg

The only freehub bodies that will fit are from the same period, and I don't think seven speed was an option then.

Back