Hub advice/choice for wheel build

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I'm looking to build a disc only wheelset for my airnimal joey.initially I bought a set of wheels - dmr revolver hubs (red) with sun mtx rims. These are really beefy rims and don't quite sit with the build.

I scored some sun single track disc rims which are much more svelte and suit the build, but now I have a dilemma - which hubs I should use as I have 3 candidates:

Dmr revolver in red/6 bolt

Hope pro 2 in black/6 bolt

XT/centre lock

The bike is a folder/commuter that I have pimped with xtr gears, formula brakes, fsa gossamer cranks and a few other modifications. It's all black at the moment aside from the smattering of silver on the components and the off white airnimal branding on the frame.

I'm keen on keeping the stealth look buy not averse to a bit of colour, but ultimately looking to build the best wheels et I can with what I have, with an eye on weight perhaps, but ultimately longevity.

Ah, the old balancing act of cost, convenience, colour, longevity and whathaveigotlyingabout.
Pictures speak louder than text...

Re:

Folder/commuter- if you intend to carry the bike, select the lightest.

Note centrelock hubs may be lighter than 6 bolt but 6 bolt discs inc bikts are lighter.

Re:

Good choice going for the Hope Pro2. I have them on one of my bikes and very impressed and the spare bearings are very easy to get. Having said that I have not had any need to replace the bearings. There are a lot of good second hand ones going about at the moment. I picked up a immaculate front hub for £20 recently including a quick release. If you can get the cassette with the steel body even better as the cassette seems to bite into the alloy ones quite badly.

Can't understand why so few of the shimano hubs have not moved over to cassette bearings.

I have got a steel body cassette as a spare for when the alloy one goes, as they do. They are good hubs and totally rebuildable without the special toolkit as well.

I have a set of pro 3s I picked up that needs a new freehub. Have a spare alloy one but it's slightly different. Instead of the spacer between the bearings it seems this is machined into the hub. Don't suppose you know if this is just an evolution and a straight swap? I'm actually struggling to get the bearings out of the old frehub, the spacer doesn't move enough to allow me to knock the bearings out. Any ideas?

Steer clear. The fact that it needs an ignition barrel suggests its had a screwdriver down it... if its not stolen, it has been. And you wont rebuild the engine for ?200...

Re:

No idea what the last post is all about, but a belated post from me with the build wheels. The LBS were quite impressed with them, wish that had reflected in the price for the 'true' they did.

Attachments

• 20150907_193739.jpg
    20150907_193739.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 268
  • 20150907_193643.jpg
    20150907_193643.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 268
Back