How the Goose was cooked / polishing thread, cup of tea read

That's a fantastic guide. Enough to convince me the rusty chrome bike part I'm looking at on ebay might clean up a bit further (though it appears to have light scratches from someone's previous attempts).

Well some times you might not be able to get every thing out ! but ! unless you rechrome it, it doesn't have to be a show queen

you can have a clean looking bike with the ood scratch or place that hasn't come up so well - it show that it has history and that it was used in it's life for what it was intended for - FUN

I ride most of my bikes and love just to use them - it doesn't have to be hard but get some fun out of them - show them in the street - show people that there not dead and rusting away in a shed or garage - get out and use them :twisted:

if it has some marks in places - cover with a cool sticker - if it's not a original stock complete resto who will notice or care ;)

cheers B ;)

Wow this is mightily impressive!

I feel like i want some chrome stuff just to do this now :LOL:

So all in how many hours do you reckon it took?

Such a good job, before and after pic is just insane.

that one side took about a hour with making coffee and cleaning up

it's easy - just have to learn how things react to what you do to them - holding the blade at the right angle and then just elbow grease to keep polishing ;)

some items will come out better than others - but in the end you have given it a try and a new lease of life ;)

Someone just highlighted this to me, bloody amazing work!

How do you find the finish holds up? Does it corrode again? Or is it ok as long as you keep it polished up?

I guess it's like most bare metals/ chrome - if you take it in the rain then it will go rusty - the rust has already done the damage and pitted in place's so any moisture can still get in

A polish will help and car polishes can seal it up a bit - but it's keep polishing and keeping it clean that will make it look good

old early chrome is best as it was put on heavier and most new chrome and 90's chrome doesn't last long and will flake more

hard work and being carefull, using stuff that doesn't scratch it up first, taking the time to just keep going and going till the job is done

give it a try - it's amazing when a item come up super sweet from just hard work and trying ;)

cheers B :cool:

this is brilliant !!! going to try this on my catweasel frame... i was thinking of getting it re-chromed... but as its a weird smoked chrome.. it would be a shame not to try and restore it. :)

bilt hamber auto balm. Its expensive ish but the stuff is amazing seals the tiny hole and leaves an excellent shine. Use it for a final polish.

Back