How easy is it to build your own wheels?

7Speed

Retro Guru
For a new build I have the chance to build my own wheels. Never done it before. I know I need a bit of kit to do this, but is this best left to the professionals? I don’t want to build a clown bike and like to Keep myself in one piece. Any advice?

Yer, use the search luuuuuke. 🤣

Take an old but straight (ish) wheel of no value, work your way around the wheel gradually slackening off each spoke a turn at a time until it is rattly. Watch a few videos on youtube and read plenty of advice online. Now try to re tension the wheel and get it straight and true. You can do this in the frame or fork with a little allen key or piece of wire held on with some blu tak. The result will decide whether you want to persevere with expensive or hard to find parts. If it all goes wrong then gradually de tension and start again. De tension and start again. De tension and start again. etc......
A bit of a knack and patience is required

God damn it. Sorry wrong link.

For a new build I have the chance to build my own wheels. Never done it before. I know I need a bit of kit to do this, but is this best left to the professionals? I don’t want to build a clown bike and like to Keep myself in one piece. Any advice?
what's the new build and what type of wheels would you go for?

P-21. Ritchey vantage comp 32h on M-732s. If I ever find them Ritchey Vantage Pro 32h on Xt-732 rear, VPro on Ultegra 600 28h front.

lads on here been so helpful answering questions and helping out. I would say that I'm not too shabby now at doing it. Just keep on practising and ask any questions if you are stuck
watch videos and don't give up
I got a wheel from facebook marketplace local and took it apart and put it back together a few times to start with while truing it also

P-21. Ritchey vantage comp 32h on M-732s. If I ever find them Ritchey Vantage Pro 32h on Xt-732 rear, VPro on Ultegra 600 28h front.
I asked because jumping straight in with your dream wheelset might not be the best idea. As Eric has said, learning on a cheap wheel first is what most people do. Maybe build the bike with whichever wheels you have to hand and then build the dream wheels after you have had some practice wheelbuilding

Last edited:
Back