How Do I Paint My Dyna-Tech Ti Forks?

Thanks for all the advice, guys, I should be receiving them today or tomorrow so will take some Hi-res pics of the 'blurb' on them and will post them here.

Looks like 'leave-as-is' is favourite so-far.

Whats the writing on the legs and crown?
Can you do a close up?
Just thinking if its design instructions or something like that then a clear lacquer ,to preserve it for posterity would be my option

Im for as is :D ,If id won them i would have kept them natural :cool:

Iwasgoodonce":2m92ftwu said:
You don't wanna paint titanium.

I agree and especially with these forks which have the added character of being display models with the writing, however why did Raleigh/Dyna paint their carbon and Ti frames?

We have had a few through the shop painted and I even stumbled across one outside the Physio the other day too, painted lurid pink/orange, with very tiny subtle Titanium stickers. It's very odd.

I think Raleigh painted their Dyna techs partly because the seamed tubing they used wasn't too pretty in the raw; when I stripped some Dyna tech Ti handlebars once, they looked terrible. :shock:
The Torus' was nice though as are these forks, so different tubing maybe -or just a better sorted finish ?

Well, chaps, here are the images of the text on these ex-shop-display forks.

I have managed to capture all-but-one of the pieces of text. There is another long piece about two-thirds of the way-up the steerer which reads “Which ever way you look at it, this fork is a …” then, unfortunately, the text is missing and the lacquer damaged (presumably when the bearing race was fitted).

Here is some of the blurb posted by the Ebay seller about these:

“I bought these many years ago from a bike shop that was closing down. RRP then was £150. These were the promotional ones that the shop had on display. Because of this the forks feature little quotes referring to the specs, such as "average weight 715gms","custom drawn and tapered IMI blades", "bonded joint technology for lightness and strength" to name just a few. The base of the steerer tube had to be filed down to accept the bearing race, this was due to the lacquer that these had, (which was done by the shop).”

The forks, crown and steerer are all lacquered and there are some blemishes under the lacquer finish on the blade and steerer. The steerer is 1 1/8 and approximately 190mm long.

I got these forks with the intention of fitting them to my MT5 build… but now I’m not so sure. The steerer is a little too long for the MT5 frame and, being Titanium I don’t know if my local (quality) bike shop would be able to reduce it or not. The other question I have (being a bit of a simpleton, no-doubt) is regarding what ‘type’ of steerer it is. Am I right in thinking that because there is no thread it has to have the Ahead-style headset and stem fitting, or could a thread be cut? I have a nice NOS black Deore threaded headset and Syncros quill stem that I’d planned to use but may have to revise the build if they won’t fit.

The last image is taken looking into the top of the steerer and shows a piece of metal of some sorts with a threaded hole in the centre. Again (showing my complete ignorance) can someone tell me what this is? Is it necessary to retain this for the fitting of the stem or headset, if I need to reduce the steerer size?

Apologies for so-many questions, and thanks in-anticipation, for your feedback and comments.

Attachments

• inside steerer.jpg
    inside steerer.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 946
  • fork_steerer_dropout_text.jpg
    fork_steerer_dropout_text.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 945
  • canti_text.jpg
    canti_text.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 946
  • bulge_fork_crown.jpg
    bulge_fork_crown.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 946
It looks like its already got a clear coat on :?

:shock: Do not paint

Please :D

Now comes to bit about ,were they supposed to be actually used ,and not just grace a trade show
:shock:
Sorry to now add doubt to their intended purpose :oops: But you have to think of these things :?

Fantastic!! i'd leave them as they are and use them, aslong as they are to be used and not a mock up or show demo, they will look spot on on your MT5 build me thinks :cool: :cool: :cool:

AndyB

Thanks, guys, for all the helpful comments.

I have now decided not to fit them to the MT5 and (maybe) to just keep hold of them for their uniqueness. I have obtained a pair of silver Dyna-Max straight-blade forks for the MT5 now courtesy of Bland.

Because of financial reasons I will be selling-off some kit soon to help pay for the MT5 build and (unfortunately) I think the Dyna-Ti forks will also have to be sacrificed :(

If anyone is interested in these Dyna-Ti forks then keep watching the For Sale thread...

Cheers

carlton dyna-tech":1tf9gqqa said:
If anyone is interested in these Dyna-Ti forks then keep watching the For Sale thread...

Cheers

Excellent :D
Think ive got a spare tenner this week ;)

Back