How can we support our local bike shop ?

Your Local Bike Shop ?

• Your Local Bike shop, how useful is it at supplying the necessaries to keep your retro ride on the t

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Does your LB know you are a retro rider, are they enthusiastic and helpful ?

• Are you satisfied with your LB, or do you try to avoid it and shop online

• Do you think bike shops need to focus on the basics more than the sexy new machines ?

• Does a bike shop need a resident mechanic and facilities ?

• Do you think bike shops are loosing to the internet ?

• Total voters

I have only used my LBS once in the last 6 years. On that occasion the owner proved to be an ignorant twat solely concerned with how much money he could squeeze out of me. There is however a fabulous bike shop called Wheelies in Swansea, helpful staff, varied selection of top end bikes and extensive spares on the shelf. Also they have been open since the 70's so have a sypathetic retro ear, although i'm sure as soon as I walk out the door they ask each other why I don't buy a proper bike!

What really spurred me to ask this, is my LBS's didn't have stuff like bearings, like have things moved on so much that anything that revolves now does it metal to metal without the need for a bearing ? Just what is wrong with shops if they don't have in stock a range of loose bearings and lithium grease for sorting out a shimano wheel hub. Halfords had them, but Halfords is my absolute last resort, their mechanic there sucks, he is constantly clock watching and loses interest in anything the nearer it gets to home time, even as far as to recommend the totally wrong part.

i used to keep a massive collection of that kind of thing . large selection of different length axles too

keeping it all in memory was hard work , people would walk up to the counter and try and challenge me by placing something obscure down . id open up the draw and all the little bits were in there :LOL:

would a bearing supplier keep open bearings ?

Apart from fitting headset cups/crown races (needed it done once) and building wheels (not needed yet) I do everything on my bikes myself, plus usual working hours of 7am-5:30pm leave me no time to go anywhere other than Halfords during the week, and I'm busy riding (2 wheels or 4 legs) at weekends, so I get everything from either here, eBay, CRC or Wiggle.

Guys in my LBS in Aldershot are cool though, and I'll probably use them if I get a new bike at any point.

Blast Bikes in chipping sodbury always help me out with a box when they have one spare, and will knock my headset cups in for a few quid

top shop!

lewis1641":28n23mge said:
being in the retail business myself i know just how annoying it is to lose out to the internet but my local shops are terrible. the one in my town is aimed at the £99 market. the mechanic is a decent guy and does a good job but the wait is long.

the nearest bike shop which stocks better stuff is 10 miles away in scunthorpe and is resident to one of the most unhelpful creatures i have ever come across. as a result i use neither!

Who is it
short and bald? or tall and miserable?

i'll kick em up the arse

Velosport in Cleethorps are a decent shop,always good to go in for a chat although I always end up spending loads even when I don't really want owt! Don't really use any shops round here,if I really want anything there are always cheaper/better alternatives and I do all my own maintainance.

my local is pretty good (well the owner does have a dekerf and a salsa on the wall)

he looks after my bikes and knows when anything old comes in that i may be interested

carrys lots of spare parts and if he doesnt have it he can get it!!

i have no real local shops around me. they're all a fair trek by car to get to. i tend to buy used if possible instead of new to get substantial savings. of the parts and nick-nacks i do need urgently from time to time, i find prices are over-inflated compared to what i can find online, even with shipping and exchange rate.

jonnyboy666 said:
the shop i used to run in southampton is owned by gary who himself up until last year still raced a 92 kona explosif, he understands the benefits of quality spares so basically never stocked the cheap 7/8speed cassettes but does stock the nicer hg70 items etc, and parts perverts could get lost in his boxes of spares! gary loves finding the right part rather than finding one that will do.

:D

Which shop is this? I work close to southampton and would use this shop....

Latest posts

Back