How can we support our local bike shop ?

Your Local Bike Shop ?

• Your Local Bike shop, how useful is it at supplying the necessaries to keep your retro ride on the t

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Does your LB know you are a retro rider, are they enthusiastic and helpful ?

• Are you satisfied with your LB, or do you try to avoid it and shop online

• Do you think bike shops need to focus on the basics more than the sexy new machines ?

• Does a bike shop need a resident mechanic and facilities ?

• Do you think bike shops are loosing to the internet ?

• Total voters
I do all the work on my bikes myself so for me it boils down to price, So first port of call is here, Then CRC, Wiggle and fleabay.

My LBS in the UK is Bromley Bike Co who have a great selection from everyday bikes to exotica. Back in the day, wandering in there and having a chat with Dave Hemming or Mike Jackson was pretty cool.

It probably helps that Mark who runs it has been there as long as I remember, but I have to say I was impressed to get appreciative murmurs over my RC100 and RC200 when I took it in from somone who can't have been much older than the bikes.

Out here, Sidekick416 tipped me off about a shop that seems very friendly, with everything from kids' bikes to an alarming selection of Merlin XLMs hanging from the ceiling, with that kind of Aladdin's Cave feeling that all decent bike shops should have.

I have to admit that in London I frequented Evans for everyday bits when I needed them (tubes, energy etc.) Every now and then there was someone with the right attitude and knowledge, but more often than not I'd be wiping my feet on the way out ...

There are three local shops that I frequent here in North Florida. I buy all my small bits like cables and housing and stuff from the local guys, and anything that I need to try on, like shoes and helmets and gloves. I've also picked up 3 bikes locally in the last 5 years, a Stumpjumper M4, a Cannondale Rush, and a Trek 1500 road bike for the wife. As for retro specific stuff, there aint much in the way of choices here in town for that.

i build all my own bikes (and half the streets lol) the local shop is a tad expencive for me (he's also a umf only dealer and pretty much refuses to work on anything else) i use halfords for tubes and cables and ebay/retrobike for everything else..........

anyone else feel like shops now are just in , grab what you need and rush out ?

i remember when a shop was a place to go , spend ages oggling the stuff and eventually buying something because youve stared at it long enough

shops lack the feel they had

perry":2ck41kvr said:
anyone else feel like shops now are just in , grab what you need and rush out ?

i remember when a shop was a place to go , spend ages oggling the stuff and eventually buying something because youve stared at it long enough

shops lack the feel they had

thats just the same as my local shop.......

My local shop slowed with new bike sales and swamped with repairs. They know I will never buy a new bike, but are enthusiastic when I step in because I buy used or takeoff parts from them and pay them generously when I have fouled things up myself.

No idea, although I have five LBS (that I can remeber of the top of my head) near me I have not been to any of them since way beck when.
Apart from popping in to Freetown Sports, as I was in town anyway, to look at some shoes and try them on, now I found what was nice but all the prices went up by the time I had the money so I've still not bought any :x

They (freetown) have changed since I used to shop with them, not only larger premises but they ahve loads of built bikes and the shiney components seem to be more hidden away while also made to be flashy looking if they are on show, rather than out there so you can touch and look at them properly.

As for the others well, they cannot beat the fact I can sit at home look at the prices, compare and look up details then get them delivered for cheaper than it cost to get the bus to them, let alone the prices are cheaper.
Shoes & clothing I would probably buy in store though as I like to try things on and see them. Bike components tend to fit the bike ;)

Though I will say for the budget everyday bike person they are not loosing out to the internet, as thses general riders are not in to the sport/hobby so do not know what they are looking at. But they are loosing out to Halfords/Tesco style buying, but then only for the bike.
Still given the 5 bike shops are still gong strong and there are other lesser name one's I don't think they are loosing out the the everyday rider but are doing pretty well. Hence they stock the budget range, some mid and maybe the odd higher end, but are also prepered to help you fix it as well, something Tesco cannot do. (And halford so I've heard ;))

I used to get my parts from my LBS 'Bike-it' at Radstock until last year, after the last poor service from them which I ordered a set of tyres and was told he will have them next week which it didnt, it was a month before I finally got my tyres and also every time I take my bike in to have something done, it always get marked or scratches on the bike. The owner is nearly to retirement age and seem lack interest for bikes recently, so I now use CRC and ebay for cheaper and quicker service.

I am looking for a new bike later on and my LBS have the bike I want to have but wont buy from them as I found it cheaper elsewhere including extra offers with the bike, I like support LBS but found less hassle and better deals on the internet.

I often buy things from John's Bikes in Bath, like tubes, screws, etc and the staff is friendly too, dont mind paying a little extra now and again in there but I did have 10% discount when I bought some stuff around £80 last year which it was good.

i used to put orders in on a friday to arrive on the following tuesday so if you came in on the tuesday you would be waiting at least a week for it and it was only once the delivery was opened would you find out if what you ordered had turned up , so it could be another week after that . i gave up on ordering a spoke threading tool i saw listed , at least it was only for myself

it was one of the things i hated about the job . you would have to phone or they would turn up expecting to walk away with the stuff they had been waiting for but i had to tell them it hadnt arrived :( gutting as im the kind of person that as soon as i order something i want it immediately

cant really blame people for phoning or clicking for something from essentially a warehouse that 90% of the time has a large stock big enough to offer large discounts

Back