Hope headset help

trailstar82

GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hello chums,

I have the hope headset with the flags on c.2008? On my recently acquired orange crush.
To my horror when removing the forks I saw a crown race for caged ball bearings instead of the ally split version.

This missing piece is hope part number hs104.
Sadly hope don’t have this part in stock only the newer hs120 with the rubber seal (hope tell me this isn’t compatible).

Does anyone know of another headset race that will fit? Or have a spare one knocking about?

Thanks as ever

Last edited:
That's the xc Pro 2007 I think and it has a groove for and O ring seal.

There is one on ebay, complete but chewed up a bit, that you could make a complete one from.

Last edited:
That's the xc Pro 2007 I think and it has a groove for and O ring seal.

There is one on ebay, complete but chewed up a bit, that you could make a complete one from.
Thanks for this I’ll take a look. I heard somewhere that cane creek shared bearing sizes and dimensions with hope and was looking at sourcing something similar. How different can they be?
I know that Chris king have very minimal contact surface on the race but the hope bearings seem fairly standard (45deg?) like other headsets out there.

Is it just the crown seat you need or? Hs104 isn't a bearing!

Number 4 https://www.hibike.com/hope-headset-spare-parts-pedd8e50dad3c30ff03264ac92f95ad5c
Just the crown seat is needed. HS104 is the part needed but its no longer in circulation, so if i can find something similar with a 36deg internal angle i'll be good to go (in theory).

There are sealed cartridge bearings in there, although probably exposed to all sorts of grit given the previous use of the incorrect race.

All the places where the hs104 part is listed have no stock 😭

Bummer. A used but good hope is the same price or less than the xc Pro on ebay and parts are available and easy to find new bearings. £40 should get you an excellent one.

Back