Holdsworth Special - Frame Rescue

Despite soaking for over a week still can't pull stem out! Tried using the frame as a slide hammer too. Does look like there has been some attempts to cut this out with a hack saw so might look at this again to weaken it further, then have another pull at it.

Attachments

• Capture.GIF
    Capture.GIF
    61.3 KB · Views: 617
  • Capture1.GIF
    Capture1.GIF
    295.7 KB · Views: 617
Stem finally out, after cutting it length ways it finally let go. Drew it out with studding but it fought all the way

Attachments

• IMAG0255.jpg
    IMAG0255.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 589
Fitted a spare BB all torqued up ok so started to clean up around the top of the seat tube. Bit of a mess really.

Attachments

• BB.GIF
    BB.GIF
    181.7 KB · Views: 560
  • Seat.GIF
    Seat.GIF
    188.3 KB · Views: 560
Paint tidied up and decals added

Attachments

• Paint.GIF
    Paint.GIF
    162.9 KB · Views: 511
  • Head.GIF
    Head.GIF
    77.3 KB · Views: 511
  • Frame.GIF
    Frame.GIF
    289.8 KB · Views: 511
dwscrimshaw":7llsapqc said:
Stem finally out, after cutting it length ways it finally let go. Drew it out with studding but it fought all the way

How do you use studding to pull the seat post out without crushing the top of the seat post? I have a similarly recalcitrant post and I a currently using a hacksaw as noting else worked.

Thanks. Ray

Thanks

If I am honest it did start crush so I stopped that and tried using two vices on the bench as in the pictures above. That way you don't load the top of the tube, but I had to brace the vices with wood as can be seen, even then it didn't pull out and the threads started to go.

In the end i had to use a hack saw blade which I didn't want to due to the risk of cutting into the tube. The post was so long I had to use a power hack saw blade, cut down to fit, that was longer than std blade. getting it to cut so far down the tube meant you could really see what was going on so the tube got damaged.

I managed to clean it all up, but with the crush and the cutting the tube should really be replaced. To avoid this for now I have pushed a std seat pin right down the tube so it is up against the butting at the BB. I have then modified the bottom of the actual seat stem to fit over the reduced diameter of the pin, where the seat would go. Hopefully, having effectively a very long stem clamped at the top and also by the front mech. at the lower end the loading will go right to the bottom of the tube. Could be bit unnecessary, but seems to be the right thing to try. If it all goes wrong i'll have to fix it properly and could then get all the lugs put back on.

Although I have never used, if faced with similar circumstances in the future I think personally I will go the caustic soda route. (With great care w.r.t. accompanying appropriate PPE.)

I would be interested to know how that works, there was evidence of the penetrating oil up between stem and tube, but still wouldn't come out.

Anyway made a start transferring bits over form the current winter bike. BB in, clips etc. on. Most of old bike now stripped down ready to clean up and transfer over.

Attachments

• Bike.GIF
    Bike.GIF
    289.8 KB · Views: 484
  • BB.GIF
    BB.GIF
    171.5 KB · Views: 484
  • Drop Outs.GIF
    Drop Outs.GIF
    197.4 KB · Views: 484
  • Frame.GIF
    Frame.GIF
    219.9 KB · Views: 484
:facepalm: :facepalm:
dwscrimshaw":5adf9rni said:
If I am honest it did start crush so I stopped that and tried using two vices on the bench as in the pictures above. That way you don't load the top of the tube, but I had to brace the vices with wood as can be seen, even then it didn't pull out and the threads started to go.

In the end i had to use a hack saw blade which I didn't want to due to the risk of cutting into the tube. The post was so long I had to use a power hack saw blade, cut down to fit, that was longer than std blade. getting it to cut so far down the tube meant you could really see what was going on so the tube got damaged.

I managed to clean it all up, but with the crush and the cutting the tube should really be replaced. To avoid this for now I have pushed a std seat pin right down the tube so it is up against the butting at the BB. I have then modified the bottom of the actual seat stem to fit over the reduced diameter of the pin, where the seat would go. Hopefully, having effectively a very long stem clamped at the top and also by the front mech. at the lower end the loading will go right to the bottom of the tube. Could be bit unnecessary, but seems to be the right thing to try. If it all goes wrong i'll have to fix it properly and could then get all the lugs put back on.

Ok I understand. There is a German chap on you tube who uses a load transfer frame to remove stresses from the bike to the ground. Ian sure this works on a tight post but not sure about a seized post.

I bought some more hacksaw blades today in 18tpi rather than 30tpi I was using to try to speed up the cutting process as the finer blades were struggling to bite when used in a flat position as necessary.

Looking forward to more hacksaw action

Latest posts

Back