Holdsworth Frame Numbers

Just to close, the distance from the CBB to C rear drop out is, like wobler's 17" A 700 sprint rim in the frame does seem to leave room for a mudguard - lines up with the eyelets on the forks and stays.

Thanks

Gus

Re:

I agree looks like a 1974 shop build again, similar to Wolber’s Italia. I would not call this a Strada as they were pure road machines with very tight clearances for sprints only and would not accommodate fenders or have fender eyes. Strada bottom triangle measured 16.5 inches whereas Italia was 17”. (See catalogue descriptions few pages back.)

High number, as Dave’s other examples for 74, interestingly seems to indicate numbers for 1974 carry on where “69” serials apparently left off.

Gus,

Yes, the frame seems identical to my Italia ( No.7331) apart from your pierced lugs. So another shop built bike.

Regards

Wolber

Thanks all,

Seems to align with the Italia, taking into account the clearances and mudguard lugs, its quite like the red frame in the broucher.

Any thoughts on the differing lugs - pierced or not, or likely mudguards that would have been offered with it?

Gus

https://www.bikeforums.net/attachment.p ... 1502850522

Dave,

Just looked at the invoice for 74739 on that thread you kindly highlighted. Clearances look much like that frame, with the pierced lugs but the doc shows it as a strada so now I'm getting confused! Might the proximity of the frame numbers, mine being 74770 indicate a batch run of one model? Grateful for any thoughts!

Gus

Thanks, I think the comments above the frame clearance and stays are a better indication of the model. The pierced lugs seem to be common, but could well have gone across a number of models. My understanding of the numbers is that the first two digits are a year code and the rest are sequential build numbers in that year so they are only batching by year and not model.

That said the typical number quoted is ~125 frames per year for the shop. We have found numbers higher than that so it could be in the region of 150/yr. In addition we have found more frame numbers for 1969 than the other years, hence Dougs comments above. We have no documentary evidence for the 69 frame number being used in the following years, just the high number and then lack of numbers until 1974, which seem to follow on from the number seen for 1969. In addition to this some of the models listed in catalogs for early 70's have 69 numbers. The number for 1975 all seem to be badged as Roy Thames and he then used his own numbers from 1976 when Holdsworth went to the 6D factory numbers.

I think your frame is clearly from 1974, it may not have been sold until the following which is not uncommon, but the number indicates 74 build. I thin the fender eyes are a good indication of the model.

Back