Holdsworth Frame Numbers

Yes, typically break bridges would be curved in the 60's, but the lug work looks too fancy for 70's. I have looked in the excel file and we do have a growing number of frames that have Nervex Pro logs that can't be placed. I have to say I do not know what these are so have then all down as others currently. It some point I will need to come to a conclusion as to whether these are genuine or not.

Yes, Keith the dropouts or "ends" are indeed Campagnolo.

Thanks for the above tips Mr. Scrimshaw. One embuggerance is that a lot of frame photos don't show the rear brake bridge in a lot of detail or at all. It will be fun trying to figure it out. There are plenty of Holdsworths with straight brake bridges, though none I've seen with the same style of eyelet (for lack of the correct wossname).

BTW does anyone know how the Holdsworth tricycle conversion units numbering goes? I've got No. 1856 and I'm curious when it might have been made.

Cheers and thanks to both of you.

- Eric

Attachments

• No. 1856.jpg
    No. 1856.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 466
Eric, Are the lugs NEWVEX, which used oversize tubes? That is not a Nervex bracket shell.

I fitted one Holdsworth trike and sold several in the 60s, can't remember the serial numbers.

I hope your frame is small enough to be able to lean your body weight over to get round corners.

Keith

As far as the Nervex lugs go its the head lugs that seem to be the common feature if the group of frames I was referring to. And yes it really annoying that the brake bridge is neglected in photos!

Interesting about the Trike conversion, I have never seen any numbers for these before and wondered how/if they were numbered. I would take a guess, based on how the frame number run, that it is a straight sequential 4 digit number system. As this is the only one I have seen it is a very wild guess. Without additional numbers and some dates to align them to it is going to be difficult to predict. I'll log it away and hope some more come to light.

Thanks Keith,

I'm not savvy enough to ID lugs. Scrimshaw believes them to be Nervex lugs and I'll go with that. Tube sizes look standard to me.

It's 61cm too big for me in general. I was looking for an inexpensive frame and this one cost me less than $100 shipped. I usually ride a 53 or 54cm. I've been thinking about getting my leg over it and didn't consider leaning while turning. Glad you pointed that out. This frame will do while I work on getting the conversion kit overhauled and the pair of wheels built - just something to attach it to.

There's a shop in Alameda, California run by an old-timer who sells Bob Jackson frames. I may take this around to his shop & see if he's got an opinion. It's a nice frame whatever it might wind up being.

Cheers,

- Eric

Hello my first post.
I have a Holdsworth which i think is a Mistral it has a 4 digit number centrally on the underside of the bottom bracket of 7331. I would like to identify the year and restore sympathetically with period parts. It has the fully sloping fork crown, wrap around seat stays, Campagnolo forged dropouts with rear adjusting screw, spearpoint lugs and the rear brake bridge is curved. I do not think it is a super mistral as it has not been chromed and not a professional as it has the guard holes front and back.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Re:

Wolber
The number 7331 and your brief description suggests this is an early 1973 Putney WF Holdsworth shop or contracted build rather than a factory frame. Perhaps an Italia or more economical Competizone. The shop at that time had their own models and did not build models labelled as per factory. You should look at Kilgariff’s shop rather than just factory catalogue pics and description from around 73. (I understand Dave Scrimshaw has gotten Kilgariff.com web site back on line.)
We really need pics if you want a more definite assessment.
Doug

Doug

Yes, the site is back up and running unfortunately the links to the "shop range" are not working I wonder if anyone made any copies of what the information was. I am in work at the moment but will take some photos this evening and see if i can upload them. So the first two digits are the year, 1973 thanks.

added a link to photos
http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/bruce ... Holdsworth

Wolber

Wolber;

Here's quote and pics from Kilgariff "models" page:
"1974: The W.F. Holdsworth LTD (shop) catalogue has the Italia and Competizione ranges, but also offers the factory (Holdsworthy Co.) Pro":

Also, it is my observation that the shop was not always consistent about sticking to a particular style of Prugnat lug for a particular shop model. (as compared to factory)

Again, surmising your #7331 is a shop frame may be off without pictures to confirm as the shop models had distinguishing features. Hope this helps.

Doug

Attachments

• WFcat74_1-2.jpg
    WFcat74_1-2.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 389
  • WFcat74_2-4.jpg
    WFcat74_2-4.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 389
  • WFcat74_4-5.jpg
    WFcat74_4-5.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 389
  • WFcat74_3-4.jpg