Holdsworth Criterium 531 - Worth buying?

to be honest I would be coming at it from a different place than you as I'd build it myself and would be looking for something that needs work, but unless you are buying something that has been completely restored you need to factor in for new consumables like tyres, chains and cables etc.

For me through if you are aiming at that sort of money then you should not be looking at the gas framed mass produced variety with lots of steel parts at all, you should be looking at a minimum of a Reynolds 531 (or equivalent Columbus etc.) frame with a decent group and preferably Campag, or decent Shimano or Suntour etc. They are out there and it shouldn't be that hard. That can of course be a Raleigh or Falcon etc. But because of the nostalgia drive the uneducated will always go for the brands they know or remember so really you should be avoiding them to get value for money

allenh":3vfhv625 said:
to be honest I would be coming at it from a different place than you as I'd build it myself and would be looking for something that needs work, but unless you are buying something that has been completely restored you need to factor in for new consumables like tyres, chains and cables etc.

For me through if you are aiming at that sort of money then you should not be looking at the gas framed mass produced variety with lots of steel parts at all, you should be looking at a minimum of a Reynolds 531 (or equivalent Columbus etc.) frame with a decent group and preferably Campag, or decent Shimano or Suntour etc. They are out there and it shouldn't be that hard. That can of course be a Raleigh or Falcon etc. But because of the nostalgia drive the uneducated will always go for the brands they know or remember so really you should be avoiding them to get value for money

Thanks. My plan is to restore bikes but I'm new to this. I used to ride as a kid of course and I have a mountain bike and a big motorbike, so I'm no stranger to two wheels. I've never restored a bicycle though so it's going to be a learning curve. I'm looking for a cheap and tatty vintage bike (anything) nearby that I can practice on and hone my skills but at the moment I need to buy a usable bike. Nostalgia does come into it. That's why I'm after a vintage as opposed to modern bike. I've seen a few bikes that fit the bill but they've been too far away. It's a waiting game at the moment.

Cavalier65":p76wucqw said:
Thanks. My plan is to restore bikes but I'm new to this. I used to ride as a kid of course and I have a mountain bike and a big motorbike, so I'm no stranger to two wheels. I've never restored a bicycle though so it's going to be a learning curve. I'm looking for a cheap and tatty vintage bike (anything) nearby that I can practice on and hone my skills but at the moment I need to buy a usable bike. Nostalgia does come into it. That's why I'm after a vintage as opposed to modern bike. I've seen a few bikes that fit the bill but they've been too far away. It's a waiting game at the moment.
Yep, although it is the right time of year to pick something up, the other thing is local boot fairs and junk shops, just keep looking and in the meantime researching what's good and what's not and you'll get there.

Don't however get caught by the restoration bug otherwise you'll end up like me and some others with enough bikes that I could almost ride a different one every day of the month.

I've just had a look at your bikes. I have to say, that Falcon San Remo looks amazing. I'm very much lured by a bike's looks. Rightly or wrongly details like emblems, decals and colour schemes do influence me heavily. That Falcon is right up my street. Great work!

Cavalier65":37i9nx23 said:
I've just had a look at your bikes. I have to say, that Falcon San Remo looks amazing. I'm very much lured by a bike's looks. Rightly or wrongly details like emblems, decals and colour schemes do influence me heavily. That Falcon is right up my street. Great work!
Thanks, yes I'm pleased with that one and will probably be selling it soon as it's a little too small for me and I've got other similar bikes.

I agree totally about the looks though which is one of the reasons why I started restoring my own so that I had a choice on how they looked.

allenh":1464yfuc said:
Cavalier65":1464yfuc said:
Thanks, yes I'm pleased with that one and will probably be selling it soon as it's a little too small for me and I've got other similar bikes.

I agree totally about the looks though which is one of the reasons why I started restoring my own so that I had a choice on how they looked.

What size is it and what sort of money will you be looking at?

Cavalier65":3jjk9ic6 said:
allenh":3jjk9ic6 said:
Cavalier65":3jjk9ic6 said:

What size is it and what sort of money will you be looking at?
I'll get it out of the garage at the weekend and have a measure.

Back