Help with a Sturmey Archer AG Dynohub please

grumpycommuter":248xkouq said:
Hes certainly a top man at theoldbiketrader. Need more people like him.

Derek is the man, he sent me 5x PDFs on the 1975 manual and then gave me a ring to advise. A top gent indeed.

well, I tried the above... I backed off the RH cone then turned the LH cone by hand using slotted washer until it seems to lock in place on the axle and tightened LH lock nut down, then took up excess play with RH cone and locked in place with special washer and locknut (after turning cone back just under half a turn as per manual - the same manual that suggest doing LH cone last!)

Much better, still a little drag but I've been warned about this. Kinda wish I was using an AW hub now, but the AG is so purdy! :D

Wondering if the tiny 1/16" thrust washer on the LH side should be replaced?

I've been criticised for this many times, I had a keeper for the magnet, but have taken them out without it on many occasions without ill effects. Your left hand bearing could be in trouble. You should always set the right hand cone as advised. Drop the magnet out, fear not, and you can see what is going on with the left cone. At least youi can clean it out. I used to tap down the "armiture" where it is inside the magnet to give it slightly more clearance.

keithglos":2yvo1mb7 said:
I've been criticised for this many times, I had a keeper for the magnet, but have taken them out without it on many occasions without ill effects. Your left hand bearing could be in trouble. You should always set the right hand cone as advised. Drop the magnet out, fear not, and you can see what is going on with the left cone. At least youi can clean it out. I used to tap down the "armiture" where it is inside the magnet to give it slightly more clearance.

thanks for that, not 100% sure what you mean but I might well give this a go to stop the dreaded dragging (which is not minimal to be fair).

My winter bike in the 70's had a front dynohub with BH quick release, plug in connectors, and was in a Fiamme sprint rim. When you drop out the magnet and armature you should not put the magnet on a steel surface bench. You just undo the 4 small brass nuts and pull the armature/magnet assembly out, might be a bit reluctant. Probably full of what looks like mud. Not sure why it is thought that the magnetism should emigrate, it never did for me. I was a repairer in the 1950's / 1960's.

Back