Help with a Sturmey Archer AG Dynohub please

Dead Rats

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I need help with my 1975 Sturmey Archer AG rear Dynohub (rear 3 speed) please kind sirs!

I have been successful in adjusting more common AW hubs in the past (cones and cable adjustments) but have never had one apart. I have my wheel place loosely in a frame which is stopping the axle from turning - not set up in a ridable bike

With the AG I've got all the correct parts and I've adjusted the righthand cone correctly as per online manuals and Sheldon Brown advice.

It's the left side and the Dyno part that are proving tricky and I'm having trouble finding anything specific to my problems online!

The left hand cone (held by a four slotted washer) doesn't seem to loosen and tighten like a normal cone (my righthand one for example), it just seems to have a 'sweet spot' where it's bang on in terms of adjustment.

Once I have the cone locked in place the Dyno section binds and judders when I freewheel. So I back off the lock nut and the cone turns on it's own which helps stop the juddering but any attempts to lock the lock nut result in the dragging again.

Is my LH cone threaded? Or is supposed to be like that - ie unthreaded - as I can't seem to thread it off the axle? Why when I try to lock it in place does it jam up the rear wheel? Also, why is my Dyno part binding?

Final issue, the two small terminal nuts just spin and don't tighten or come off!

Sorry for the dumb questions and poor explanations! I've not attempted setting up the indicator rod or cable and shifter yet.

Please help if you can, I've been fiddling with this for about 5-6 hours now :(

Have you tried one of these yet?

BigHammer.jpg

Perhaps drop an email to the oldbike trader - http://www.oldbiketrader.co.uk/index.php

He helped me recently with an indicator for an Sturmey Archer FM hub. He may be able to 'shed some light' on the matter :D

Karl

Thanks for that, I have that PDF; it covers re-assembly but Sheldon's site has the disassembly method too :)

http://sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer/ag.html

However (not meaning to sound ungrateful) I'm still hoping someone can identify what's actually happening with my hub - ie ascertain whether it's faulty as opposed to simply in need of adjustment - without having to needlessly spend a full day stripping and re-assembling it, which I'm happy to do but only if necessary as it would be my SA rebuild debut :shock:

There's still the issue of my lefthand cone not unthreading for example :?

Cheers, Al

It's a long while since I stripped a dyno hub but I'm pretty certain that the cone should be threaded. If you look at the pic here it looks like the cone would have to be threaded. Thinking logically it would have to be otherwise adjustment would be nigh on impossible.
If you do have to strip the DynoHub do not do it without a "Keeper" or it will never work again.

Ian.

Attachments

• SA HUb crop.jpg
    SA HUb crop.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,952
Looking at Sheldon Browns pages it states: "Remove the cone locknut on the left-hand side and unscrew the left-hand cone." so I guess it has to be threaded. I think also that the LH cone is supposed to be a fixed cone and all adjustment made from the RH cone.
http://sheldonbrown.com/dynohubs.html

Somewhere I have a 1953 SA service manual. If I can find it I will have a better look. I also think I have a box of SA DynoHubs somewhere in the garage. I'll have a look to see if I still have them and have a go at stripping one. I think I may have got rid of them a while ago though.

Ian.

I've found a manual thanks to oldbiketrader, based on what you've said I am going to fix the LH cone in place then take up the slack in the RH to see if that helps - even though IIRC this is not the way of the manual :? :)

GrumpyOldMan":2fmr0v7d said:
Looking at Sheldon Browns pages it states: "Remove the cone locknut on the left-hand side and unscrew the left-hand cone." so I guess it has to be threaded. I think also that the LH cone is supposed to be a fixed cone and all adjustment made from the RH cone.
http://sheldonbrown.com/dynohubs.html

Somewhere I have a 1953 SA service manual. If I can find it I will have a better look. I also think I have a box of SA DynoHubs somewhere in the garage. I'll have a look to see if I still have them and have a go at stripping one. I think I may have got rid of them a while ago though.

Ian.

appreciate your comments GOM... my LH cone won't unthread! :shock:

Latest posts

Back