Help What year ?.. Now with pics..

@Saulus ,
I'm glad this brings you back to a time of fond memories and it gives me a rough idea of which decade now but it's just which part of it and of course this could mean it's not retro :cry: ..

@velomaniac,
I've never heard of Hawk Trakatak :shock: but it trying to resemble an apollo which isn't the most reassuring comment but i kinda get the GT theme as i'd already thought about that lol :) ..

So basically were talking the nineties but not sure when so i'll keep my fingers crossed that some one can confirm it to be the mid nineties :roll: ..

Late 90's if the V brakes are original, as Shimano released theirs in 96.

That's the only clue I can offer.

NeilM":1clycgl6 said:
Late 90's if the V brakes are original, as Shimano released theirs in 96.

That's the only clue I can offer.

Thanks mate :cool: :cool: :D :D ,,So it looks as though it could be a 96 model which means it's a possible retro Yee haw!! .

I still might replace the frame yet with an aluminium Gt one as i love the triple triangle design and i would like a lighter frame as well as forks lol ..

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
velomaniac":3c0yznqv said:
And this is an Apollo Avalanche
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apollo-Avalan ... _120wt_958
As you can see its the same frame in both cases, Hawk are a bike chain with own bikes from the Midlands.
As for 96, you could be right never spotted the V-brakes were post mount type. Shimano STX V-brakes were polished alloy of that type from 96/97 but many taiwanese copies from later date also exist.

Did a quick bit of maths/reminiscing... I had one of these in Summer '93.

Velomaniac,
That was my first ever 'mountain bike' as a teenager. I am experiencing a strong desire to buy and renovate.................. YOU can explain to my family why there will be a 7th bike in the house!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Well Mrs. Saulus, you see the problem is your hubby has an affliction, a mental illness if you will. A contagion spread via internet web sites that as yet is still poorly understood. As sad a case as i've ever seen and totally incurable. Really you should pity him, forgive the symptoms you see presented before you, he cant help it, like a gambling addiction. As yet no organisations exist for specific councelling but you could try the Samaritans if he's willing to seek help.
In the mean time, confiscate his credit/debit cards and keep an eye on your purse lest the temptation gets too great.
A very regretable case, i'm so sorry...........

:LOL:

I will show her this ^^^ AFTER I have bought one :LOL: :LOL: In a nutshell, a bikejunky. :facepalm:

My desire for one is based on totally different reasons compared to the bikes I currently have. Not ride qualities or technical /design quality. Just pure self indulgence of my memories of that first ever offroad freedom!

Anyway, Sorry for straying off topic.

Muddy Paw, Assuming it was marketed at the same time as the Apollo,'94, I think you ought to keep the frame and refurbish it with quality parts from '94, lose the V brakes, get some nice canti's etc.. Ride the dream! I say that based on my evident bias :oops: It's kinda cool and interesting looking frame.

But the truth is, it is tensile steel and there are waaay nicer frames to ride and fettle with out there for not much cash.

velomaniac":3n68a0hv said:
Well Mrs. Saulus, you see the problem is your hubby has an affliction, a mental illness if you will. A contagion spread via internet web sites that as yet is still poorly understood. As sad a case as i've ever seen and totally incurable. Really you should pity him, forgive the symptoms you see presented before you, he cant help it, like a gambling addiction. As yet no organisations exist for specific councelling but you could try the Samaritans if he's willing to seek help.
In the mean time, confiscate his credit/debit cards and keep an eye on your purse lest the temptation gets too great.
A very regretable case, i'm so sorry...........

:LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: , i gotta to agree with you on this and i remember being cured of this illness many moons ago back in 1990 one morning as i cycled to work :shock: , the cure came in the form of an RTA where i was basically side swiped by a car entering onto the round about that i was already going round as the driver stated that he never saw me on that sunny Tuesday morning :facepalm: as he swerved his car into me which left me with damaged lower back and left leg muscles for five weeks and then as i finally ventured on my 1st day back to work i twisted the muscles down my left side which kinda put me off cycling and then i passed my driving test in july 1993 so cycling went right out the window :shock: until i got the bug again a month ago :LOL: :LOL: ..

saulus":2imtj6yj said:
I will show her this ^^^ AFTER I have bought one :LOL: :LOL: In a nutshell, a bikejunky. :facepalm:

My desire for one is based on totally different reasons compared to the bikes I currently have. Not ride qualities or technical /design quality. Just pure self indulgence of my memories of that first ever offroad freedom! .

I know that feeling all to well as i to want to get another Muddy Fox Explorer for the same reason so i might just hold onto this bike for now until i can get one sorted but your idea of up grading my current ride is tempting though :? ..

Back