Help... Trying to identify my new retro Marin

'proper' disc tabs appeared quite late in the Marin FSR range, for a while it was some weird mount that seems to never have been found

Heres a '99 with a flake in it with the round tubing. The triangular tubes came in a bit later just before the adjustable designs.

And you have to remember, their frames were pretty much identical throughout the range with better shocks and components as you went up. Only the very entry level model had the steel back end. Things changed when the adjustable Tara frames came in.

img_0177.jpg

Re: Re:

Sketchyxup":3trg0oi7 said:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/download/file.php?id=84854

^ that is the B17 like i remember them and the shock mount to the mainframe doesn't have the holes, also the disc mount looks to be a post mount?

Has it been re-sprayed? The decals dont look right to me?

thats actually my B17 and no, it was never post mount, it required an adaptor

Re: Re:

legrandefromage":3w2hhc6o said:
Sketchyxup":3w2hhc6o said:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/download/file.php?id=84854

^ that is the B17 like i remember them and the shock mount to the mainframe doesn't have the holes, also the disc mount looks to be a post mount?

Has it been re-sprayed? The decals dont look right to me?

thats actually my B17 and no, it was never post mount, it required an adaptor

early Manitou "post mount" 69mm centre-centre?

Re:

So what you have is a daft size mount, an adapter to another adapter to another adapter to the caliper?

Looks like a scrap heap challenge project.

The other feature that sticks in my mind about that generation of Marin was the amount of snapped swingarms, they rate they cracked makes me surprised there are any still knocking about today.

I had the first generation Mt. Vision with the cracked swing arm - they cracked around the 'torque tube' as the arms flexed the joining tube between them twisted enough to crack. Mine was replaced by Marin with a later beefier version, not heard of this version cracking. Just about all of the rear ends are interchangeable - I think even the Tara versions too.

The B17 has its shock mount further up the frame (as well as the DH version) to allow for longer shocks.

Re:

Ok, solved.

It is defo a 2000 B17.
Like this one ... viewtopic.php?f=21&t=322186

Frame turned up today and I managed to scrape some of the respray off to uncover orange at the head and metallic blue on the main frame and swing arm.

Frame number is F800FAD065, if anyone can decode anything from that?

Latest posts

Back