help to identify my claud butler

digger dog

Retro Newbie
hi, i was given this bike yesterday. it's really nice and in amazing condition with original paintwork and mainly original components (i changed the tyres and pedals and gave it all a good clean). it's got shimano altus groupset, mach rims and exage hubs. all the decals have been removed but the frame number remains D229593. any help identifying model and year would be much appreciated. i can't find pics of the same bike anywhere. thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1274.JPG
    IMG_1274.JPG
    503.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1270.JPG
    IMG_1270.JPG
    538.3 KB · Views: 31
hi, i was given this bike yesterday. it's really nice and in amazing condition with original paintwork and mainly original components (i changed the tyres and pedals and gave it all a good clean). it's got shimano altus groupset, mach rims and exage hubs. all the decals have been removed but the frame number remains D229593. any help identifying model and year would be much appreciated. i can't find pics of the same bike anywhere. thanks
Hi, unfortunately you won’t find this one in any of the Claud Butler sales brochures as these were sold via “on tick” catalogues like Littlewoods, Kays, Gratons or Argos etc. you know where Mum could order a bike for Christmas then spend 12 months paying for it.
They did a red one called larva or something like that a green one (can’t remember what it was called) and this gold one which I think was called “Midas” maybe? Circa 1992+ with bottom of the range groups.
Still a lot of fun and tbh I think the paint style was pretty cool back in the day.
Reynolds 500 Chrome-molly all terrain tubes I think

Yup, just found this;
Claud Butler Midas with 500 tubing & 1992 style graphics
02C77D2B-6F8F-4DD0-8716-62B4DC55189E.jpeg

The Green one was cleverly called the “Aluminium” 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦‍♂️ C8BC116A-36B1-49BA-81A1-0DFB40E6FB0E.jpeg

Many thanks for that. Mine must be more of a hybrid version with the slimmer forks? A bit disappointing but should still be good as a winter road bike. Is the Reynolds 500 the same as 501 just thicker therefore heavier?

Many thanks for that. Mine must be more of a hybrid version with the slimmer forks? A bit disappointing but should still be good as a winter road bike. Is the Reynolds 500 the same as 501 just thicker therefore heavier?
The slimmer forks are because they are steel. I don’t think they had any other definitions back then apart from “Road” & “MTB” 🤣
As for 500. Pretty much the bottom of the Reynolds range although possibly better than gas pipe?

Back