*HELP* Putting a thread on the steerer of some a-head P2's

i'm half right then!! :LOL: was an aluminium steerer i was talking about but thought it was worth mentioning coz i've never checked it personally

After checking the internal diameter is ok, check or find out if there is any butting in the steerer. It may affect how much you can cut off.

bloody good point fellas, just checked and the stem won't fit. it's not the cleanest cut steerer i've ever seen but compared to the threaded steerer on some old mags i've got lying around it's a lot thicker!

suppose it's back to looking for those elusive "perfect" p2's then eh?

thanks for all your comments guys!

strictly original i'm afraid craig, i'm committed now!
also in no rush, i haven't got the funds to finish her off yet (as it were)

albash82":1v51ktg7 said:
bloody good point fellas, just checked and the stem won't fit. it's not the cleanest cut steerer i've ever seen but compared to the threaded steerer on some old mags i've got lying around it's a lot thicker!
Got to say, I'm surprised. I've got two threadless P2s here, and they're both sized to take a quill stem, no problem.

blimey, i was fully right then?!

i knew ally steerers were thicker wall thickness for sure but was sort of guessing with steel p2's, maybe it's different depending how old they are? :?

Aluminium is thicker and for good reason!
Just compare steel and Aluminium steerers for suspension forks, and you'll see a big difference.

I will either thread the forks successfully or replace the entire steerer, I'm that commited. Either job is no real headache for the right person.

Latest posts

Back