HELP !!! Opinions wanted - bad transaction on this forum.

Re:

Saftey is paramount and condition is everything, full disclosure as standard - Naturally.

Why is this so difficult to grasp?

Glad the seller has offered to refund you - I was told recently to "sell it on here..." and that "it's your fault you didn't read the listing properly...", "it's your fault."

Some people eh!

:roll:

➡️

Re: HELP !!! Opinions wanted, bad transaction on this forum.

I know sometimes a seller can forget to describe or check an item properly, and in 99% of cases they'll offer to remedy the situation.

The situation described by the poster is perhaps not the worst it can be, because at least he admits the damage was there when sold. If this is a newbie retrobiker, then perhaps don't name and shame him, but if this is a longer term member / seller, then I think ti would be in the interest of the community for his identity to be known - I for one would not buy from him.

Once or twice I've had a seller claim it's possible the damage appeared once I got the item so there's no proof he sent it already damaged, and in any case he has a no refund policy. Attempts at plausible deniability are much more troublesome, I find.

Sorry :oops:

Attachments

• Wanted.jpeg
    Wanted.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 499

Thanks for the support, I just wanted some opinions if it was unreasonable that I should have known (!?!) to ask about any pre-existing damage, especially when it is so significant and structural and coincidentally not visible in the FS picture.

I have decided to ask for a refund of 95 of the original 135 GBP for the fork, in essence paying 40 GBP to buy a 'crown and steerer'. I think this is beyond generous and I will wait to see what the seller says.

Re:

Get a refund on the lot, as above.

Really riles me this, so simple to be honest and describe all damage in the ad, if seller had genuinely missed something (sounds as if it would be difficult in this case to miss a fork that's a write off!) then you would expect that he would offer a refund out of remorse! (I know I have without question once in the past, I value my feedback....)

This is a community, wish everyone would play fairly and nicely. If they don't, then like any community built on shared interests and a passion for a hobby, it's perfectly reasonable that some reprimand is administered by the members of it. Or in cases like this, I would imagine one of the moderators.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and please let us know the outcome. I shall 'tut' a lot in the meantime on your behalf :LOL: :LOL:

These situations are no fun for anyone.

We have all been or will be on the wrong end of a transaction - often for reasons out of the sellers or our own control. Every transaction I have had on here has been good. I had a couple of transactions I thought were going to go south on other forums and FB and I was just blown away by the sellers willingness to help both times - problem wasn't even their fault.

There are mostly great honest sellers ... this is a good reminder to to a better job of posting feedback for the good ones.

Is having a feedback link on your profile mandated for posting in the for sale/wanted threads here? I think it is on other sites.

Re:

"Is having a feedback link on your profile mandated for posting in the for sale/wanted threads here? I think it is on other sites."

I don't think so, no. Perhaps it is an idea though!

Not that it's the ultimate protection obviously, but it does go a long way towards building trust, and it's useful to refer a buyer to it if they are new or not used to buying on here, then they can see you are honest and valued.

Well, we came to an agreement, but not before he tried to negotiate from my firm but generous offer of a partial refund. I think the seller still thinks his original 1 line description of the forks "could be restored" was adequate and he is confused about all the fuss I'm putting up. I'll let pics be the judge. Keep in mind, his FS post had 1 group shot, with the damage to the fork hidden from the camera. He didn't even bother describing the condition of the handlebar in the original ad.

This dropout separation is on the other leg, so I can't even salvage 1 leg.

He tried to convince me to put the forks for sale here at 80 GBP. Unlike him, I would never sell such poor condition items to the RB community. I hope the guy who recently bought the expensive frame from him doesn't have any 'issues' to discover later.

Crimp and cracked handlebar end. At least it's salvageable if I want to chop 3/4" from each end.

Re:

Hmm, I'd say time to name and shame, but having figured out who it is, I see he's not a regularly posting member, and doesn't have a feedback thread at all, so.......

Maybe just put it down to experience and never go back, hard lesson to learn, but there are some real tw*ts out there and occasionally our hobby attracts them! ;)

Back