Help needed!!!

UKSupergoose

Retro Newbie
Hi guys...
Im a total newbie to MTB builds, I've been building old school bmx's for the past few years but got all i want now so fancy moving over into mountain bikes as I've got quite a big love for restoring old bikes, and theres some stunning mountain bikes i remember from back in the day that i wouldn't mind showcasing alongside my bmx..
So theres probably going to be some very silly questions over the next few months as i really do have no idea which isn't a nice place to be but we all have to start somewhere i suppose..
I own a blue/purple pearl 84 saracen tuftrax which is a little beaut but i can't say i built from parts as was more a restore build, complete to original spec.
What i have bought and what most questions will be asked for is an alpine stars which will be a custom build. I fancy doing a custom build first just to get my head round to how to actually build a MTB and once I've learnt what goes where and what size is need for what etc then i'll move on to the fancy builds..

So heres my purchase, frame part sanded and shimano deore group set thrown in..

11021162_10152675591822864_3602364345257440584_n.jpg

So this is where its at now..

12895_10152675592032864_9121472947137872725_n.jpg

10429336_10152675592292864_2425403519220650110_n.jpg

10461934_10152675592217864_98869461465267677_n.jpg

So my first dump question is... What size/type forks should i be asking for in the wanted section, are they all the same height, plus been told i need 1eight's .. Im wanting a set that can be solid on roads but then be able to change for off road..

Cheers, Paul..

Re:

Hey buddy and hi

I've never built a BMX but I bet there is more to it than id guess?

With mtb's you've got a world of components that all have many pros and cons:

Style, Size, Function, Colour, Price, Condition, Rarity, compatibility etc etc

Have a look at few yeti and fat builds on here to see the high end stuff.

We are all serial up-graders so stuff changes hands all the time.

Do you want your build to have some kind of theme? All retro Hope parts? All purple ano? Modern parts on a retro frame? Etc etc

Have a good scout around before you jump in too far or you'll end up with loads of bits that you thought you wanted until you realised what else was out there.

Ask lots of questions.

Forks?

You mentioned you want some with lock out?

These will be newer than your frame but that's ok.

Older frames weren't designed for suspension or long travel forks (60mm+). Try and find yours in the catalog scans section an see if it had suspension as an option.

I've run 80mm travel forks on older frames though so it all depends. It'll change the feel but if you're happy then it's good!

There are lots of forks to choose from rockshox SIDs are nice and light. Pace are interesting but fewer have lock out and might be trickier to maintain.

Have a look at what others have done.

Enjoy.

Enjoy the build process and don't think for one minute that you'll only do this one. Retrobikes breed like bloody rabbits!!! ;)

Looking forward to updates on your progress.

Back