Help me identify my Kona Hei hei please

not that theres really anyway of telling but could that be a voodoo ti frame, they were virtually identical to the konas, and were almost non existent in the UK.. ??

I have read the SN of mine : BG 16 007 ;)
What could mean the letters before ?

All Hei Heis up to 1999 had B numbers, but I don't know why yours has a G as well. B16007 would be a very very early size 16, the 7th ever made.

The thing which says Kona more than anything else to me is the lack of a cable stop for the rear brake because it would have been fitted with a collar on the seat post.

Serial number is odd although if the E is in fact a B it would be consistent with the other frame mentioned here. As both frames are relatively low in the runs 7 and 24, maybe there was a seperate numbering system for a particular market? Just a theory.

I agree with the cable stop. When I have bought mine, there were no cable stop, and the owner used it with Vbrake, and with adhesive tape around the horizontal tube for fixing it, like Monkeeeeee01 did on his ;) .
Until 95 or 96, Kona should use the specific seat collar for the canti's. After, for V brake, just a cable stop was needed on the back of the horizontal tube.

I phoned yesterday to a Canadian friend who run for Kona in the beginning of 90. His kona heihei was 1991, the first one welded by sandvik, and had a classic cable stop. The "dog collar" appeared around 1992.
He told me that "BG" front was written on many kona, for "Bicycle group".

So, his bike would be the 24th 18" kona hei hei welded; so, a first one : 1992 or 1993… :D
And the decals are not the good one (Gil has sold me very amazing decals !)

Back