Help me decide on a new (?) colour for my Mongoose Amplifier

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
My Mongoose Amplifier (Amp B2) is now stripped of all parts and I was about to start rebuilding it when I thought I'd regret not having it repainted. I've posted before about powder coating and think I'll be sending it off to Armourtex to do the job, but I've got to decide on colour.

I was thinking of just having it done as was i.e. gloss black powder coat front end, polished alu rear, but now I have the choice, should I stick with that? I'm a little limited to colour as I've already had Gil_M produce the decals which are white, so the new colour will have to take a white decal.

I've also been thinking about whether to have the rear triangle painted too. I'm not averse to polishing it up, but thoughts on this would also be appreciated - is it considered sacrilege, are there any benefits?

Anyone have any thoughts on do's and don'ts in terms of colour, and also, what are my options with powder coating - could I go metallic black/british racing green, or am I limited to single/block colours like black gloss?

I've also spent quite a bit of money on green (dark, not he light green hope colour) annodised parts (bolts, brake levers, qr's, Ringle H2O etc), so the new scheme would need to work with these parts too.

I'm hoping to send the frame off this week, and ordering a refurb kit from Amp so that when the frame gets back, I can spend a day rebuilding it to an as new standard and finally riding it (I bought it from Jango many months ago now).

Any advice/tips/help/colour suggestions much appreciated, as decisive I'm not.

Cheers

Ian

Attachments

• Amplifier-brochure-pic.jpg
    Amplifier-brochure-pic.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 518
If it was me I would def have it re-done black with the bare alu rear! :cool:

The small surface area of those stays won't be too hard to keep looking good either..

Cheers for the feedback, that is what my head is saying too. Anyone know if a powdercoat gloss black needs a lacquer or not?

Am also tempted to go for a metallic finish, but is this too bling/a good idea? I'm guessing a flat black gloss will be easy to colour match against car touch up paint should the need arise?

If you want to be different then why not use a very very deep aubergine colour, looks black from a distance but when the light catches it it comes over all red wine / purpley.

That would be my choice as it would set off the polished metal rear end beautifully! :cool:

I was thinking of doing something similar with green. Would I need to choose a specific single colour that would achieve this effect, or would it be in the lacquer? I know if it was standard paint, pearlescent would be what I'd call this, but can it be done in a powder coat?

I don't know, have a word with a few good powder coat places. Also look at the possbility of wet paint and strategically applied helicopter tape.

Back