Help me build an OK 29er!

Re:

I have an old steel 456 On-One in 26 and love it so would happily build a 29er. I prefer the bigger wheels on my newer bikes anyway, they seem to work better for me, but for my local terrain front suspension is still a must.

I would experiment with your present ride by locking out the front mech to be certain that 1 X 9 or 10 or 11 is right for you and your local area mindful that increasing the wheel size ups the gearing.

I've no experience of half fat but must admit it would appeal for a winter set up. Again On-One would be a good place to start looking.

Hope this helps and looking forward to the build thread.

EDIT Fitted Zee 1 X 10 recently and delighted with the shifting and braking.

I'm after an XL frame.

if any mods are reading this, I'd prefer to keep this thread here because I want the true retro people's advice.

I run soft 2.5s on the charge and only use the boing for fast downhills. If you cann afford or get to try rigid first it may be enough.

Re:

I love my Genesis High Latitude.
I picked up a new frame, that was last years colours, for well under half price.
A word of warning though....enjoy riding your 26" wheeled bikes now, because you wont once you've gone 29 ;)

Re: Re:

groovyblueshed":yu2kpxky said:
makster":yu2kpxky said:
I picked up a new frame, that was last years colours, for well under half price.
A word of warning though....enjoy riding your 26" wheeled bikes now, because you wont once you've gone 29 ;)

is there no way back after 29?

Wish I could have got the 2013 Genesis Fortitude Race in orange... http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/img/uploa ... 13_web.pdf

For the type of riding I do, 99% cross country, then I'd not consider going back to 26".
I still ride 26" but only my old'uns.
I love the simplicity of mine. 1x10 and rigid is perfect for where I ride

Re: Re:

makster":3b1vralx said:
groovyblueshed":3b1vralx said:
makster":3b1vralx said:

is there no way back after 29?

Wish I could have got the 2013 Genesis Fortitude Race in orange... http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/img/uploa ... 13_web.pdf

For the type of riding I do, 99% cross country, then I'd not consider going back to 26".
I still ride 26" but only my old'uns.
I love the simplicity of mine. 1x10 and rigid is perfect for where I ride

Very nice! I find the "Generalized" mainstream bikes a tad over-engineered and the retrobikes sometimes overly fussy with trick bits. The simplicity of something like the Genesis set up or similar is very appealing.

Back