Help!! M950 bb content

P20":551mbooz said:
From memory they weren't the greatest bb. Adjustable but that was the only redeemable feature. The later 951 was better

Nice link btw ;)

I disagree, these 950's were lighter, but did require someone who knew what they were doing to fit them, I have as many messed up through ham handed fitting than worn out with use. They were/are identical in design to the Dura Ace model that lived through the 9spd Dura Ace era.

The Dura ace 7800 is technically the same design, so another source for service and technical info.

They are not difficult to service, but don't use cheap grease. (ps the grease will hold the bearings in their sleeve, making it easier to re-assemble)

After these, XTR started specifying lower quality BB's which were identical to the Ultegra range. Lower quality at more expense. Con merchants.

On a side note I preferred to run Dura Ace version of this BB, as I felt it gave me a better chain line, I never had any problems and I did do many miles on those types of BB. Though I used to run 34/46 only on my 950 chainsets. I did use the later models, but found the sealed versions to wear out just as quickly and with a weight penalty, sealed XTR then was not a patch on the old UN91 for longevity.

Steve

Back