Help -- is it the taper or the BB?

420mTrax

Dirt Disciple
Just came to fitting the chainwheel on my Peugeot rebuild and it's sitting way to far from the chainline.
I (thought I) calculated chainline correctly to account for going from 7- to 8-speed.
Pic below shows a straight(-ish) edge from the cassette which puts the chainline at about the shoulder of the taper.
Thing is, the chainwheel won't get any where near the shoulder on the taper, despite some heavy pressure (16" tube on the hex key)
Is this an issue of the wrong taper? (BB and c'wheel both supposed to be JIS)
Or BB spindle too long?
You can see where the taper got to in the chainwheel.

chainline.jpg taperFromAbove.jpg taperWitnessMarks.jpg

You shouldn't need to move chainline if going from 7 to 8 speed, maybe a couple of mm at most but it won't make much of a difference . I think those stronglight cranks need a 107mm BB with a 68mm shell, probably 109 or 110 with Italian. That spindle looks longer than that...

You shouldn't need to move chainline if going from 7 to 8 speed, maybe a couple of mm at most but it won't make much of a difference . I think those stronglight cranks need a 107mm BB with a 68mm shell, probably 109 or 110 with Italian. That spindle looks longer than that...
It was a 117 that came off it. English thread.
I guess I could try the old 117 and see.

Yeh, I've got a stronglight impact that sits further out than any other chainset I've known. Even with a 107mm BB

The taper looks like it’s in the right place so I think you’ve got the right tapers. 16” tube on the hex key? You’re going to break something doing that.

Try your 117mm bb axle and see where it puts you. Current one looks like it’s about 10-12mm from the stay, which is a fair bit of clearance but bikes did come like that. I prefer to get mine a bit closer so my chainline in general use is roughly in the middle of the block. Don’t forget bb’s aren’t symmetrical, so the reduction in width (annoyingly) doesn’t exactly tally with the spacing on the drive side. If it’s for example a 117mm Shimano cartridge bb in there at the moment, take a measurement and judge whether you want to drop it to a 113 or 110.

I just found this: "With a bottom bracket with 107mm axle length, square taper JIS (not included) the crank set has a chain line of 43.5mm"
What a b*ll-**d!
I've asked the BB supplier if he'll sell me a shorter spindle.

Back