Helmets!

juice":14g0g12w said:
Mankind on the other hand seems to not be able to walk away from abstract fears. We learn and forget and learn again and forget again. We don't evolve unless we must and i guess nothing we can buy will ever change that.

No kidding about that ^^ !!

Look at the mess this world is in (again). I recently read somewhere, that the only times in modern history that the world's wealth and resources were as inequitably distributed (concentrated into the hands of the elite/richest few) as they are today ... were in the years just prior to both world wars.

Is it human nature; or is it something else, something supernatural from the outside affecting humankind.

Men and women have been struggling with this condundrum since almsot the beginning of (known) time ...

I'm still amazed that people seem to give such hallowed status and confer almost magical powers on what is essentially a bit of TV packaging.

mattr":39t1blqz said:
I'm still amazed that people seem to give such hallowed status and confer almost magical powers on what is essentially a bit of TV packaging.

I've been watching the X factor as well and couldn't agree more. He's a very clever man.

I personally can't see why you wouldn't wear one, especially off road. Can't say it bothers me if people choose not to though.

I wonder how many people have fallen off, given their melon a decent bash then continued not to wear one?

The History Man":3kyzlpkj said:
mattr":3kyzlpkj said:

I've been watching the X factor as well and couldn't agree more. He's a very clever man.
whut? :|

brocklanders023":1ptktzhp said:
I wonder how many people have fallen off, given their melon a decent bash then continued not to wear one?
On alpine snowboard & skwal rather than on a bike, but yes, I have.

xxnick1975":3fl5g3vf said:
Still using my bell cyclone from 1993

Should I get a new one? Saw some for £6.99 in Aldi today, any good?

I had one of those! Black and yellow. Took a beating until a mouse ate it at my cottage :LOL:

While I'm not entirely convinced about their effectiveness:
Why is it that fatalities per mile ridden (using DTp data) are unchanged since 20 years ago when nobody wore a helmet?

However, I have seen cases where simply the thickness of the helmet keeps the face off the ground in a 'wipe-out and sliding down the track' situation. I've bust a couple of helmets over the years but it's hard to judge if they had a significant part to play in the outcome. Overall, generally they are probably beneficial, however I suspect it's not that much. The design criterion is to protect from hitting the kerb from 1m or so, (i.e. falling off a bike) and not higher-energy impacts like downhilling or hitting moving traffic.

Back