Have you suffered abuse for riding a retro?

only the wife but shes mean and just doesn't understand. out on the trails nobody seems to care, if anything i get curious looks (could be me, could be the bikes) and the occasional chatty enquiry 'crikey, not seen one of those for years.... my mate had one like that....' sort of thing, nothing I would call abuse

Guy asked why I was riding that out on the trail,
me pointing at my 95 Marin, you mean this.
Him - yes, it isn't a mountain bike
Me - yes it is
Him - it can't be , the top tube doesn't slope!

Re:

My 2010 Giant XTC winter hack has XTR M970 and a guy recently pointed out how retro the groupset was.A 2008 groupset is retro to them now :roll: .

Re:

when I last took my proflex out to Cannock I had loads of people stopping pointing and asking question and not had one bad comment

when we did the cycle show at the nec we did not have one bad comment over the three days we were there

Re: Re:

pigman":1ofc73ku said:
the opposite if I'm honest.

most look, marvel and ask questions. The generic carbon rigs are often overlooked at the café stop.

Agree. A lot of interest and people remembering Trimble.

66 triumph daytona":3t6qw1mv said:
My 2010 Giant XTC winter hack has XTR M970 and a guy recently pointed out how retro the groupset was.A 2008 groupset is retro to them now :roll: .
I hope you corrected them

M970 is just old, not retro ;-)

Yes. And no - while riding my very light and quite distinctive single speed conversion Ti Dynatech Ti Ugli fork combination - bright blue with white wall tyres and white Flite Ti saddle :cool:

Riding local trail round Ladybower mid week last year and a couple of chaps stopped for a natter, they thought it was lovely. And only slightly bonkers

Riding same bike one weekend at one of the trail park places in Galloway Forest - usually a very friendly part of the world - was definitely not welcome. Hordes of folks on £2k treks and Santa Cruz full suspension everywhere. One 'youngun' even knocked my bike out of a rack to put theirs in and when I wandered over to put mine back in just glared at me, not a word :roll: . . . had my revenge later when I romped past him on a steep little climb up out of the centre

Oddly, my gorgeous 1990s custom made Raleigh Special Products 853 with amazing Mavic sunset rims (inc snowflake front wheel) dripping with period Xlite and Hope stuff is always ignored

tintin40":116p6489 said:
pigman":116p6489 said:
the opposite if I'm honest.

most look, marvel and ask questions. The generic carbon rigs are often overlooked at the café stop.

Agree. A lot of interest and people remembering Trimble.

Why do they trimble when they remember? Fear? Excitement?

Back