Have I bought tubeless wheels

That's why they won't seat.
Try again with a bit more air (70 or 80).

Road tyres run at up to 150 psi, so the beads need to be a bit on the tight side.
If the rims are remotely tubeless ready, they'll be pretty tight. Even if they aren't, a thick rimtape can make them nice and tight too.

mattbrown":1gisfo82 said:
i may buy some new tyres, possibly the ones that would have come fitted to the wheels so there isnt a reason it cant fit.
If they are both 622, there already isn't a reason why they can't fit (unless damaged)
mattbrown":1gisfo82 said:
Maybe try steel beead.
Probably make it worse.

Even if the wheels are tubeless compatible, they should still take a standard clincher without any problems.

Michelins are usually on the small side, so slightly smaller diameter than most other clinchers of the same specification. Couple that with a slightly larger diameter than normal rim, and it can be very hard to seat them properly.

At least you got them on the rim though - I once spent at least 20 minutes trying to wrestle a michelin pro race onto a campag rim before deciding it was just not going to go on. I then realised my LBS had given my 650C tyres instead of 700 :facepalm:

Right i think i solved it. I bought another pair of folding tyres but they were similar so i bought a pair of non folding tyres and they were better but not perfect. I then cranked them up to max psi (130) and there was a bit of creaking etc and they seated fine. I then tried the original folding tyres and just pumped them up to the absolute max psi and the seated. So it seems i wasn't ruthless enough to stsrted with. At least i no have some spare tyres i suppose lol.

Ps thanks for all your help.

foz":jve70n0j said:
Even if the wheels are tubeless compatible, they should still take a standard clincher without any problems.
Not really "problems" but a tubeless bead and tubeless rim have much tighter tolerances and the beads are far less stretchy. So if you fit a non-tubeless tyre thats a bit undersize it'll *really* struggle to seat on the tubeless rim shelf. Hence the high pressures needed to seat some combinations.

I've had to run non-tubeless MTB tyres up to the 60+ psi range to get them to seat on Stans rims before now. Max pressure for the tyre is only 50, and worryingly, the rim is rated to 40...........

But i only run them at 25.

Back