Has anyone built a Gravel bike using a retro frame

Here's mine - since stolen.

Fwiw my 5c is that they fill a niche for a fast rough path commuter. I did a strada bianca on mine, half the Ridgeway, and Reading-London via some very poorly maintained tow paths.

One caveat is I found off road downhill absolutely terrifying on drops - the that may be just the geo of my bike and the fact I was using standard (campy) ergos and standard Road drops.

I had 29er rims with 700c schwalbe G ones on it.

Attachments

• 7C73038A-BB02-4DAC-B730-CEB59961256D.jpeg
    7C73038A-BB02-4DAC-B730-CEB59961256D.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 795
Re:

No. Well, yes. But technically no.
I've built a few drop bar 26" mtb's based on 80's/90's xc mtb frames. And they mostly work as well as a modern Gravel bike. There are a few differences I noticed that can affect things, the top tube on a retro mtb is often longer, so you may need a shorter higher rise stem. Fitting modern components would be my choice, shifters/brakes/ drive train etc. Late 90's frames might have disc tabs on already, and a rigid 26" disc fork can be easily found. If you can squeeze 27.5/650b wheels into the 26"*frame all the better.
Whilst you can certainly build a retro mtb frame into a Gravel bike, it might be easier (but not necessarily as engaging) to go with a modern purpose designed frame/bike.
FWIW I own both a 90's xc mtb and a modern gravel bike (650b), and in general the gravel bike is quicker almost everywhere, the mtb is better at handling rougher terrain, but that's about it, and kind of what you'd expect really.

legrandefromage":fv0mu1v5 said:
As stated many many times, cycling is a business. Its also a very bad business model as its products can be used for decades with little or no further input from the manufacturer, anything 'new' is leapt upon like a pack of dogs on an injured rabbit and shaken until all novelty is thoroughly lost.

There is nothing new in a 'gravel' bike, just a tweek of an old idea, just because we havent all rushed out to buy one doesnt mean that people are not qualified to comment. There are many frame builders on the site, some linked to famous brands and are more than capable of instantly assessing a frame design and how it will perform for a given task.

A quick glance around shows they come in many geometries, with the head tube angle creating the most differences with bigger tires upping the fork trail of any bike. There doesnt seem to be ANY specific geometry with subsets existing within the 'gravel' bike world depending on the task, many just end up as a rigid 29er with drops (which is what many suspected anyway)

So, Prodigal Son, wind it in a bit, look at the biscuits thread and have a cup of tea.

Or coffee.

Or neither.
You are saying exactly what i am saying... "Grab a touring bike and add new tires. It will give you an idea.."

Like the other guy I find the idea that every trend in cycling is part of the industry conspiracy to make money (which started right after someone ran out of money to buy a new bike) a walk on the paranoid side. Ride what you get. be a kid. Admire what´s out there. There is always a new bike and it´s fun to ride.
There is nothing revolutionary on a so called gravel bike but the sum of tweaks in geom + tire clearance + braking + carry on luggage etcetera on a 700c/650B road bike make it different from a 26in 90s mtb. That´s imo the right answer to the original question. A touring bike w/ it´s bigger BB drop will be more stable on a fire road than a 26incher.

I think jimo746 and legrandfromage have posted the most sense. I say yes it is possible as it is only 2 wheels joined together by some tubes so build what you want OP and see how it turns out and if you like it. There are plenty of people out there doing it on various forums and plenty of piccies on the net as a whole.

Maybe you will like it and stick with it. Maybe you decide it has limitations and decide to buy a bike more suitable for what you want to ride. Maybe you go back to a typical mtb build or decide a typical road/touring bike is your bag.

I have drop bars on an old Orange O2. I picked up bargains here and there so it is a decent spec, it fits and works perfectly well on tarmac, fireroads, ridgeways etc which is what i like riding. Most importantly it stops me from caving in under the overwhelming weights of ptsd and alcoholism and if a 70's shopper was all that i had available i would happily ride that and see hlw i went. What i have built is just a little more capable and was fun to put together as one of the above posters said it can be.

Frankenorange":l9mhqpmv said:
I think jimo746 and legrandfromage have posted the most sense. I say yes it is possible as it is only 2 wheels joined together by some tubes so build what you want OP and see how it turns out and if you like it. There are plenty of people out there doing it on various forums and plenty of piccies on the net as a whole.

Maybe you will like it and stick with it. Maybe you decide it has limitations and decide to buy a bike more suitable for what you want to ride. Maybe you go back to a typical mtb build or decide a typical road/touring bike is your bag.

I have drop bars on an old Orange O2. I picked up bargains here and there so it is a decent spec, it fits and works perfectly well on tarmac, fireroads, ridgeways etc which is what i like riding. Most importantly it stops me from caving in under the overwhelming weights of ptsd and alcoholism and if a 70's shopper was all that i had available i would happily ride that and see hlw i went. What i have built is just a little more capable and was fun to put together as one of the above posters said it can be.

Well done Frankenorange glad you found something that keeps your head above water so to speak. As for the op all I would say is give it a try and if you like it ride it. As for cycling labels I think it just gives us more choice which I think is a good thing and if that means someone gets introduced to cycling via a bike that fits their needs then again that’s a good thing.

Just my 2p obviously

Timoth27":2kpwnc3f said:
Frankenorange":2kpwnc3f said:

Well done Frankenorange glad you found something that keeps your head above water so to speak. As for the op all I would say is give it a try and if you like it ride it. As for cycling labels I think it just gives us more choice which I think is a good thing and if that means someone gets introduced to cycling via a bike that fits their needs then again that’s a good thing.

Just my 2p obviously

Well said both of you. I loved my Pace Frankenbike out of everything that's gone it's the one I miss the most. Build one decide if you love it - and if not move it on.

Well, I’m currently building up an Orange P7 ‘gravel’ bike. Really it’s just a drop bar mountain bike, but ‘gravel’ probably wetter represents what I’ll use it for. Partly it’s because I’m going on holiday to Cornwall where there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of off road trails, but the roads seem to small and, well, gravel covered for a proper road bike. And partly because I seem to have enough kit kicking around my barn to build one (all I really needed were the Nitto randoneur bars — the tyres and saddle to look tarty, I have plenty of both!).

I fear the stem is a bit long, but as I don’t have brakes on it yet, I’ve not tried actually cycling it yet. Off to France this weekend (while we still can!), so going to be tight getting it ready in time for my hols.

Anyway, here’s the post, albeit a little behind where The build is right now: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=399368

Anyway, good luck with building yours. Frankly, build what you fancy, and don’t let anyone tell you what it is or isn’t!

I have one in production at the moment, not for any technical reason, just that i had a spare frame and a few hours and parts spare :) I picked up a Giant Cadex CFM and the frame is a little bigger (20") than my usual size of 18". The frame is in fantastic condition and thuoght the relativley 'longer' top tube might lend itself to drop bar set up.

Attachments

• IMG_2831.jpg
    IMG_2831.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 518

Latest posts

Back