Has anyone built a Gravel bike using a retro frame

From what I've tried, it was that road shifters had less pull than mtb mechs, so the case of Deore shifters with road FD should be fine, unlike road STIs with mtb FD - it just doesn't reach the outer ring, doesn't pull the cable enough to make it.
Anyway, have tried several times, and the safe way to do this was for me to use a road 3x front derailleur (with pulley if needed, as road and top pull don't go together). However, sometimes the road shifters worked fine with mtb FD - and sometimes not. Also, asked some people with these conversions, varied from "I don"t use outer ring" and "yeah, outer ring rubs the chain" to "set it and everything works fine".
Magic, probably. Got a stack of pulleys and road triple front mechs for me, but apparently other people can make it work.

(still not sure how to quote properly on the forum, will learn one day...)

Yep, Kona Hahanna.
It was a fun experience and I learned alot.
I commuted on it for about a year but em it was very heavy with sketchey brakes! 🤣

Vid of the build, warning contains modern stuff too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230425_215041_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230425_215041_Gallery.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 1
Like it alot and mixing is where it is at!

What mods to the front mech and why? Was it a throw issue? Cage plates fouling on rings? Pics if you have them please.
Depending on pull ratio you can adjust arm length on front mech by cable route filing or in this case drilling a new cable hole. In the end I had too many gears I didn’t use so have gone to 2 by 8 the 3 Lh brifter is now set to low trim and high using the original cable routing for the lx mech

Back