GT RTS

Red it is then :)

I got a 26.8 seatpost and fits perfectly.

Just having a nightmare getting the bearings out of the linkage.

I'm guessing they have never been replaced so have been sat in there for 20+ years corroding away.
Got one out - three to go !!

Signing in for updates! Looking good thus far.

Hope you manage to remove the bearings. :|

Yes, bearings are out !

Thanks to Al at Garage Bikes in Morley. He loves a challenge.

Last night fitted the headset, shortened the new steerer, new seatpost in and bar & stem fitted.

Untitled by FactoryJackson, on Flickr

Tonight the missus has 'Drink Club', sorry 'Book Club', round at ours, so as soon as the kids are asleep i'll get back out to the workshop to get the back end fitted.

One thing that is obvious is that the shock is going to need a service. The oil is cavitating, so will need a full strip down.

It's coming along nicely though.

cheers
Chris

Loving this already! Can't believe how cute it is, don't think I've seen one that small before. The red will look so good on it and right at home. :D

Coming along very very nicely.

Have you set the rocker up yet or waiting until you've done more. It's pretty simple, you just need to be able to just fit a 6mm allen key between the rocker and the BB shell. Any less and I think it risks knocking, any more and it isn't giving you the travel........or something like that. Either way it was a lot easier to do than my modern!

It'll be fantastically chuckable at that size once built, mine feels a lot more easy to fling about than my modern Giant Anthem but the Giant is capable of soaking up a lot more so you are able to get away with it. I am planning on taking both to Cannock one day though and seeing which is faster.

Benmac":34eg6fko said:
Coming along very very nicely.

Have you set the rocker up yet or waiting until you've done more. It's pretty simple, you just need to be able to just fit a 6mm allen key between the rocker and the BB shell. Any less and I think it risks knocking, any more and it isn't giving you the travel........or something like that. Either way it was a lot easier to do than my modern!

Cheers for the advise Benmac. Got it all set up nicely.

XTR M900 shifter units arrived today thanks to 66 triumph Daytona (Denis).

Got them fitted.

With a house move just round the corner, cash is very tight at the moment so have cleaned an made do with parts I have until funds allow the desired XTR M900 parts.

Polished the LX cranks up as a stop gap. Red bolts fitted.

The LX front and rear mechs were fully stripped down and cleaned.

All cabled up using Jagwire inners and outers.

Yeti grips 'borrowed' from the wife's bike (it's not like she ever use it! )

An 8sp road cassette fitted, again till funds allow something more appropriate.

And finally an XT v-brake fitted, again till I can go down the XTR M900 route.

Finally, time to take it for a spin round the block.

Felt really nice to ride. A few tweaks here and there.

I'd forgotten how 'weird' it felt on the rear end with the chain growth/shrink as the back end does its thing.
Immediately it brought back memories of riding my friends RTS Team back in 1997.

It is very much on the small size and with the seatpost all the way up, still felt miniscule. But fun.

Going to be nice to get it built more further down the line.

cheers
Chris

Those who have been following my Team Issue thread will have seen I went for a spin out on that today.

My 8 year old has been bugging me to let him ride one of my bikes, so with the short seatpost and saddle that came with the bike fitted to the RTS he could just about get away with it. I might cut it down further for him as it was bottoming out on the upper pivot inside the seat tube.

With that done, quick blast out up a country lane out of the village.

Just shows how small this GT really is.

Annoyingly though he did manage to ride through a dog turd :roll:

Back