gt rts 3

mtbdave":33jv8fpi said:
Xtr,xt,lx,stx,olivio.
There used to be a dx gruppo but shimamo dropped it early/mid 90's
The first issue of the rts bikes there was only the rts 1 and 2 the 1 was full m900 xtr. The rts2 was xt and lx both bikes had a 4130 chrome rear triangle.
After this the line up changed the team and rts 3 were introduced full xtr on the team (rock shock mag 21 sl ti forks I think I maybe wrong) and the rest of the bikes grouppos were changed eg rts1 was xt maybe xt/lx both USA made still,all these frames were full Ali Inc rear end not sure about the others,so I think by the end there were 4 rts models.

I may have a few things wrong but some one will make things clearer soon I hope!!!! Lol
Sounds like you know your stuff when it comes to the gt rts, its a shame they never fitted a better specification on such an expensive bike, but I just like the look of the bike, and I don't plan on giving it too much abuse anyway

I don't know everything,but there's a lot in the archive on here; archive; manufactures(gt) then it gives you options of reviews or catalogue click on the front of the catalogue you want then go to bottom of page and click on download and view....gives you everything you so desire!!

Dave

mtbdave":1ku2afmb said:
I don't know everything,but there's a lot in the archive on here; archive; manufactures(gt) then it gives you options of reviews or catalogue click on the front of the catalogue you want then go to bottom of page and click on download and view....gives you everything you so desire!!

Dave
Thanks for that

Just picked the rts 3 up,looks in good nick,previous owner has had it about 10 years,when was the rts 3 in production from, the parts are stx and olivio, bit of a shame, but expected it was described as standard. The forks are rst are they any good or would I be better off replacing them

sounds like a stock 96 or so bike
the first year they were sold was 93 , most of wich have a 92 serial number

the rst forks were adequate BITD so will only be worse now , however i'll bet they still work , rock shox mag 21or judy xc's would be a good period swap out at some point in time , just depends what you intend to do with it , polish it and ride it would be my choice

have a look at the serial number (on the bottom bracket shell ,usually obscured by the rocker link )
as i said before some were sold off cheap at the end of the models life
from memory most of those were red clearcoated
get pics up too

Am not sure if it's possible to get 'bolt on' attachments for the frame,you could put a newer fork on but it would only be around 60-80mm I think as the back end had around this much travel.
You would need to get newer wheels too that were build for the disk brake set up also.
Is of course your bike so it's up to you but it may or could be expensive.

mtbdave":cpelwa79 said:
Am not sure if it's possible to get 'bolt on' attachments for the frame,you could put a newer fork on but it would only be around 60-80mm I think as the back end had around this much travel.
You would need to get newer wheels too that were build for the disk brake set up also.
Is of course your bike so it's up to you but it may or could be expensive.
yeah i know it could be costly, so will probably stick with original set up, probably end up costing more than i paid for the complete if i start changing things.

Back