GT RTS 1 / Team

A touch more again.

Panaracer smoke onto the rear wheel and XT M737 cassette nicely cleaned up and installed.

4B60C4B2-610D-420D-B7DC-13478A1AFC87_zpstbosndog.jpg

Then onto the shock. Cleaned up nicely (I dismantled it, degreased, wiped down, regreased the adjuster thread, polished the metal bits a touch then back together (note the zip tie spring compressors).

63E00E6A-EEEE-4238-A4B2-B58C58CEF337_zpskhzpsoan.jpg

Then, installed. Top end was a doddle (cleaned the P clips up and noticed that some kind soul had already used stainless bolts everywhere). Bottom end was a bit of a faff. New rod end and it was a tight squeeze getting it into the rocker but ok. Then noticed it's too bulky so won't sit down low enough in the rocker to let me get the bolt through. Some work with my bench grinder sorted that out and now it's in nicely. Obviously I'll need to do a proper set up once it is all back together, I have the specs somewhere for all the measurements.

135BDF60-C021-4C7F-89D7-5CEAC295B6D5_zpsnrfutav0.jpg

Final bit of progress for today was more polishing of the back end. Am onto the final stage now for the seat stay part. Should finish that tomorrow and hopefully the chainstays too. With that done and the wheel in it'll be a recognisable bike again! On the seat stay, the mechanism for cantis is still there. That's nice for originality but annoyingly the circlips that hold it on are too small for my circlip pliers and ideally I'd like it off just for cleanliness sake. Will have to have a think.

mtbdave":31fxdqw3 said:
Is the serial number under the bottom bracket shell along with the frame size?

Yes, I keep meaning to jot it down. I take it that'll be a good clue?

Bit more progress again today. Forgot to take down the frame number, doh!

Anyway, progress is: rear end finished polishing and installed, rear end set up as much as poss while unladed, both mechs cleaned up, rear mech fitted, rear brake cleaned (although like the front I need to paint the booster - and I will also replace all the bolts on them) and fitted.

Rear brake still a faff but easier than the front. The hose is too long on it as well so both of them will get a trim once I have done some more.

Tomorrow I will get the saddle cleaned and installed and get the gears set up. Doing that will need me to put on the red race face turbines I have which I am swapping for some blue ones on Tuesday. Hmm, maybe I'll just cable up the rear, install grips and shorten those brake hoses tomorrow instead. Without going mad I think I can get about 3 inches of hose from the front and 5 from the rear. Both are too long to just live with.

This is how it looks now, lots of greasy prints on the frame and nor rear tyre as I removed i to set the brake up.

FF226BA1-ECFE-40C0-8CDA-5D6D3C564546_zpsaj1iqqiw.jpg

Coming along nicely.

One this I did notice is that it only has the one bottle mount. Does the suggest an early RTS Team model?

Was thinking about going for blue details (hubs, headset etc) on mine, looks gorgeous on yours.

Ooh, is that another clue? Can't say I counted how many bosses are on my RTS 2, definitely only one set on this one though.

Have decided that it'll be hoses tomorrow. They look easier to do than on my modern as the hoses surprisingly don't use barbs in the end, just olives and sleeve nut (have new ones of both of those). If that doesn't take long and they don't need a bleed afterwards then saddle, grips etc.

Yes the frame number will tell you when it was made mine is 1092176 so it breaks down as

10 (October) 92 (year) 176 (the number of production)

My frame only has a single set of water bottle bosses.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=199624

A few different sets of photos, the dcd is gone,and it has a later 'piggyback shock from 94'

Re:

Ta, I have forgotten again and now come in from the garage but having looked at various pictures earlier I think it's a 1. The Team pictures I see mostly have a slightly different cabling arrangement with welded on noodles instead of the p clips mounted to the top shock bolt.

I am going to be naughty and for now sticker it as a Team and if I get too ashamed I'll ask Gil for some 1 decals.

Useful progress tonight in that it's all done bar installing the cranks. I used the red turbines I had to set it all up and they can come off and the blue ones go on once I have them. All seems to work well except there is still a slight knock in the front end. Am wondering whether that is that the top cap is hitting the steerer top, if the headset is a dud or if it is in the forks. It's far from unrideable bad just annoying.

Looking lovely mate :)

If it helps mine is a Team and has one set of bottle bosses and P clips, no noodles. Also has the rear most mech cable stop missing for some unknown reason ;)

You make it sound bad having a 1 and not a team....

Don't forget that Julie furtado rode the original Gt rts-1 to a downhill gold, the only downhill gold the rts model won....

Back