GT Bravado LE 93

RUSOX

Retro Newbie
Hi all,
I am new in this forum, is my first post writing from Madrid, Spain.
My dream bike back in the 90s when I was a kid was the GT ones, unfortunately never had the money to buy one.
Now my passion for the MTB is still alive, actually more alive than ever and I am trying to pass it over to my kid. In order to ride with him, he is seven, I wanted an easy simple bike (not my rally carbon MTB more unconfortable needing automatic shoes) and I though about restoring a GT to ride with him.
First of all was choosing the right model and investigating I found this amazing forum, congrats! really loved it and actually just added more fuel to my retro bike GT idea.
I have found great material and I have narrowed down my search to 92 (karakoram or yellow Bravado) and 93 (Team Avalanche or Bravado LE)...what do you think about my choices btw?
But my real question is, I think I have found for 120$ a Bravado LE of 93, which based on GT Catalogue specs is Cromoly Steel however the owner insists is Aluminium, is it possible it could be a later on Bravado LE made in aluminiun? the colours are identical to the 93 catalogue, could be a posterior reedition with the same colour in Aluminium? the seller is 400km away and I can not see the bike and I am afraid he doesn't know much about its bike.
I have clear I want a Cromoly Steel one, either 91-92 or 93-94 models, so if it is aluminium I will pass as it also would mean is more modern bike.
Thanks a lot for your tips and thanks for the forum, I am here to stay! hopefully I can share with you my new GT soon (on the mean time I am starting restoring my 90s Strongman, the one my parents could afford back in time).
Cheers!

Re:

a picture of the bike itself...doesnt look aluminium to me but a 93 Bravado LE although the components are not XT, many weird things...but I just want the frame...so if it is cromoly I am getting it!

Attachments

• Bravado LE.PNG
    Bravado LE.PNG
    136.4 KB · Views: 377
Re:

Hola hermano.

Yes, 1993 bravado was steel, true temper, if I'm thinking correct.

That's the team scream colour scheme. Well worthy of a project.

Get it as cheap as you can. 73mm bottom bracket( if i )# recall.

#Edit

Marc.

Thanks for the info and cheering up to starting the project.
@Marc, what do you mean with 3mm bottom bracket info recall?

The seller insist is aluminium but I do not recall any other Bravado version with Team colour than the 93 which is definitely steel...anyone else has info about a possible later reedition in Aluminium?

Additionally it bugs me too that the original LE has all XT components and this one has not...to be sincere no clue about what has happenend to the bike in the last 25years...If I can just get the frame, what would be a price worth the effort, should l bargain down those 120punds he asks right? or is a fair price considering is just the frame.

Re:

If the seller thinks it's aluminium let him think that. The size of the frame tubes are a giveaway that it's not.

It will cost you at lot more to build back up. For £120 it looks to be an ok deal. If it was what I was looking for I'd go with it.

Thanks a lot for the info guys! Will ask the guy to measure the bottom brackets and if it is 73mm and the bike size is correct, the guy is measuring it as not even sure! Will pull the trigger for 120$.

The flaw here is that is assambling Deore LX instead of XT which is weird as bike mounted XT, but as I told you before owner has no clue about what happened to the bike!

Definitely buy it at that price,
steel frame gtx tubing
Great bikes
Same frame as my 93

Attachments

• DC06ABAF-79AF-4909-A9D1-BD753D1CF753.jpeg
    DC06ABAF-79AF-4909-A9D1-BD753D1CF753.jpeg
    919.9 KB · Views: 19
I was just drifting around the ole internet and decided to find a pic of my old race bike setup. A bravado LE. Its a CROMO bike and I was fine with that. It only weighed a couple more pounds than an aluminum bik out of the box. I raced for 2 seasons for Nomad Cyclery in San Francisco, Ca. and they built my bike. I bought the original and they hooked me up with a ton of components. Its an XT bike. But, they hooked me up with a Manitou fork and a n upgrade bace. Swapped out the front hub with a heavy duty Ringle piece. Titanium chain rings and some kind of upgraded cassete. Good ole shimano clipless XTs and the original shimano shoe. The black ones that were indestructible. On and on. A great bike. My right knee failed and I cant ride anymore. Sold the bike for $800. Now Im sad. Im 66 today and well, what a great time in my life. If you get your hands on one of these, its worth it to restore and build this frame. Its tough, light and great for an above average rider. Thanks to Nomad for the time and money they put into me in 93-94 seasons in California.

Back