Grenfell Tower

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's something at least although I'm not sure how many from a tower block that caught fire, will be willing to go to back into a tower block, even more so given they probably hold top priority on the banding for housing.

Still, small steps are better than none and I'm sure they will be decent flats

Re:

Not sure if I'd want to return to live in a tower after such an event but anyway, it's a good response from the Government and hopefully their word is good on the long term future for the survivors.

I was heartened by the news. The new development has bike storage, and all sorts of facilities like swimming pools and gyms. I am sure they will all love that area too, right in the heart of the borough. This is the right response.

68 of them acquired so far, here's hoping for more.

They better not dare bump the rent or rates for the "upgrade"

highlandsflyer":x2lxl1tr said:
I was heartened by the news. The new development has bike storage, and all sorts of facilities like swimming pools and gyms. I am sure they will all love that area too, right in the heart of the borough. This is the right response.

I don't think they will get them ones, the pictures are lifted from the developers sales site and so will be showing the best of the best and these will include the pools, gyms etc.

I suspect the grenfell residents who have been offered social housing in these developments will get the new, but still nice, smaller ones on the edges of the estate and ones without the goodies the millionaires will get which is fair, given the buyers of these flats no doubt will be paying a hefty service/maintenance charge.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... d-response

Four unfinished blocks house the 68 flats purchased by the Corporation of London for families who lost their homes in Grenfell Tower. Workmen had been instructed not to talk to the media, but one said there was now a rush to complete the building work. “It’s a brilliant idea,” he said of the resettlement plan.

Among those exercising dogs and small children, the views were more mixed. “It’s so unfair,” said Maria, who was reading the news in the Evening Standard with two neighbours.

She bought her flat two years ago for a sum she was unwilling to disclose. “We paid a lot of money to live here, and we worked hard for it. Now these people are going to come along, and they won’t even be paying the service charge.”

“I’m very sad that people have lost their homes, but there are a lot of people here who have bought flats and will now see the values drop. It will degrade things. And it opens up a can of worms in the housing market.”

We should evict all the nasty Hyacinth Bucket pieces of work interviewed in this article and give their homes to the victims as well.

I noticed you missed this reasonable quote

Nick, who pays £2,500 a month rent for a one-bedroom flat in the complex, also expressed doubts about the plan. “Who are the real tenants of Grenfell Tower?” he asked. “It seems as though a lot of flats there were sublet. Now the people whose names are on the tenancies will get rehoused here, and then they’ll rent the flats out on the private market. And the people who were actually living unofficially in the tower at the time of the fire won’t get rehoused.

It's not reasonable at all, it's the same person as the one who thinks his property values matter in this situation. His remark that Grenfell tower was "mostly sublet" and that the new flats won't go to the residents... How did he come to that conclusion? He probably made it up.

KDM":6k554oqw said:
I noticed you missed this reasonable quote

Nick, who pays £2,500 a month rent for a one-bedroom flat in the complex, also expressed doubts about the plan. “Who are the real tenants of Grenfell Tower?” he asked. “It seems as though a lot of flats there were sublet. Now the people whose names are on the tenancies will get rehoused here, and then they’ll rent the flats out on the private market. And the people who were actually living unofficially in the tower at the time of the fire won’t get rehoused.

He's like all Commies only picks the parts that suit his purpose to oppress the populace....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back